Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

part of the sclera of my eye is red and irritated, It feels

Customer Question

i have a history of Meibomian gland dysfunction, this cleared up after a few years of warm compresses. but now i have problems with hairs that get stuck in my eyes (eyelashes) , does this stop? or do i need to do something?

right now i dont have any hairs in my eye but i have a spot on the sclera that feels heavy. I cannot see it, but i can point it out exactly do you now what this is? it also moves around, yesterday it was under my upper eyelid. I think its in my eye for a month now. Can you help me with this? (i tried eye drops, eye wash but that didnt work)

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 11 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Customer:

hi

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you feel any foreign body inside the eye?

Customer:

yeah it feels like there is something

Customer:

a small part feels heavy

Customer:

and if there is an airflow it tears from that part

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The eyelashes must be falling due to associated blepharitis. The most common site for it to get stuck is the undersurface of the upper eyelid.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is called sub tarsal conjunctiva. It is not visible unless the upperlid is everted.

Customer:

what can i do to stop this?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Try to evert the eyelid and look at the undersurface of the conjunctiva with the help of torch , in front ofvthe mirror.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If there is an eyelash there you can remove it with a sterile earbud.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If not then there is a possibility of eyelash being embedded in the conjunctiva causing a red sore spot.

Customer:

ok thats what i do now, the problem is when i get one out , the next one falls in, this happens almost every day, is there a way to make the eye lashes stop falling out so much

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This would require a closer look by an ophthalmologist on a slit lamp. To stop eyelashes from falling, you can continue with warm compresses, tobradex eye ointment at bedtime to the lash margin and a course of oral Doxycycline tablet, 100mg, 1 tablet twice a day for 2 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

These are prescription medicines.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Also check out for other causes of loss of eyelashes such as hypothyroidism.

Customer:

ok, what do you think is the best way to get something out of your eye (in the white part) but that you cant see?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Liberal use of OTC lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears or systane eye drops.

Customer:

i tried systane drops but it wont work :(

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Put a drop every few minutes so that the foreign body flows out with it.

Customer:

ok i will try that

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. In that case a visit to the ophthalmologist would be better if lubricating eye drops do not help.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

ok i will, no thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i dont know what to do anymore... if this continus i will go crazy...i visited an ophthalmologist and optometrist they cant find anything in my eye and dont know what the reason is.

They say the part that iritates is clearly iritated but dont know what it is..

They say my eyelids look fine it just the iritation spot.

I have a feeling that it is something with the sclera, the pain moves around on my sclera and hurts most when under eye eyelid, when its not its just an annoying pressure point.

could you please help me???

Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 9 months ago.
Hello Boudewijn,

Thank you for the reply.

Sorry to know about your eye problem which has continued to bother you .

I was wondering if you have some form of scleritis ( causes localised redness and pain). But neither your ophthalmologist nor the optometrist have detected any abnormality in the eye which is a bit confusing. Some inflammatory lesions can be very subtle and have a vague presentation and can be treated symptomatically with steroid eye drops. Try discussing this with your ophthalmologist. Till then you can try using OTC Alaway/Zaditor eye drops(ketotifen), 1 drop twice a day to reduce the irritation.

Regards