Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Hello, my son has swollen cornea,which he got it from not being

Hello, my son has swollen cornea,which he got it from not being hygienic with his contacts, he visited a doctor two weeks ago, and got eye drops that he was suppose to use for four days, however now 10 days has passed and his eye is still visibly irritate and a little red.
my question is, is it normal? thank you.
Abbey
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What eye drops has he been advised to use?

Customer: I don't know , he was In school , he is home for the weekend !
Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess the redness and irritation of the eye could be due to infection in the eye. Apart from antibiotic eye drops, it is better that he refrains from using contact lenses for another 2 weeks. Most eye infections are due to viral conjunctivitis or keratoconjunctivitis which is a self limiting infection. It usually takes 1 to 3 weeks to disappear completely, depending on the type of virus.

Customer: However he told be is was kind is steroid drop and was very expensive ! He was told to use it for four days four times a day
Customer: I just want to make sure it is not gangrenous and it's normal to take this llong!
Customer: Sorry about the typo! I am on the iPhone !!!!
Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am afraid steroid eye drops are usually prescribed for inflammatory conditions of the eye such as iritis. These are not given in infective conditions. However steroids can be given in case of severe allergy in the eye. Steroid eye drops should never be taken for more than the prescribed duration as they can have harmful side effects.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No problem!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the mild redness and irritation, does he complain of itching sensation or ropy discharge from the eye? Has he suffered from allergies in the past?

Customer:

no he does't its a little red and swollen. not to keep bothering you, i should not be worried, and should not use any other over the counter eye drops

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I don't think it is advisable to use the steroid drops for any longer period since it has not given any relief from symptoms. I guess it is better to use OTC lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day for a week.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If symptoms still persist then it is better to get back to the eye doctor. Otherwise 3 weeks is a sufficient period for most viral infections to subside.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just make sure he is off contacts for another week atleast.

Customer:

oh no he is done with the drops, i remember when i was young we washes our eye with cold tea, what do you think?

Customer:

and thank you very much, you were very helpful. thanks again, have a good day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I gues the lubricating eye drops would work better. Avoid the cold tea.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It's my pleasure! Have a good day !

Customer:

okay, thank again.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince