Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello Dr Rick. I am 37 years old Hispanic male....Both my

Hello Dr Rick. I am 37 years old Hispanic male....Both my mother and father have dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. Grandparents as well. I was born with brown hair and brown eyes. I noticed about 8 months ago that my brown eyes were starting to change...a little every month. At first they went a bit lighter but with little specks of dark and reddish brown. They were no longer a solid brown. Then I thought I noticed the past few months that they kept getting lighter and lighter....and the are now no longer dark brown. They are a orange and yellowish brown and they are turning olive more and more every week! They are a green brown orange yellow mix at the moment... they look Amazing. its just not something that I would have expected at my age.... My vision is 20/20. I am very healthy and athletic..and my diet consists of lots of vegetables and white meat like turkey. .no known disease or illness I have always taken very good care of my eyes.. I always protect them from the sun with polarized sunglasses. Is this common? My eyes changing so rapidly at 37 years old? I constantly have people, women mostly that I have Beautiful its quite flattering actually. I just thought they were brown. I didn't take notice until I kept getting compliments from strangers at the grocery store or at work etc...can u give me your input? I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts.
David Chavez
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

Do you have any other symptoms?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No sir. I do not have any medical issues. I have been blessed and fortunate so far...hopefully it will remain this way... no medication taken. I do take Wheatgrass regularly but that's equivalent to eating 2 pounds of vegetables daily... and I read vegetables can be eaten frequently..

From what you have posted I do not believe that the color change you have experienced in your eyes is a sign of any sort of disease process nor do I feel it is anything to worry about at his point.

While this is not common, it is not unheard of. Of course, if you have not been examined by an ophthalmologist in the recent past it wouldn't hurt to get in for a complete eye exam just to make sure all is well.

So. What is the take home message? Enjoy the attention from the ladies and don't give this another thought.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS