Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Tonight I was watching TV, feeling fine, noticed a scratchy

Tonight I was watching TV, feeling fine, noticed a scratchy sensation in the corner of my left eye. Not painful but just a sensation of being "aware" of my eye. Looked in the mirror and the far left corner of my eye is blood red. The other eye is fine. It was not like this before I put my makeup on an hour previously. I've seen this before in other people who had a subconjunctival hemorrhage. I do have a medical background in nursing but it's always a shocking sight to see a blood red eyeball. I look like I'm half Zombie. I'm assuming this will look worse in the morning. I am a 62 year old female with no known health issues such as high blood pressure or diabetes. I do have issues with allergies and my eyes will turn red and water just from walking down the soap isle at the grocery store. I just changed jobs and have no health insurance so going to the doctor is not feasible at this time. Is there anything I can do to hasten the healing? I work as a bookkeeper at a grocery store so I won't be able to wear sunglasses while I'm on the computer. Anything I can do? I'm pretty sure this has to heal on it's own and might look really horrible before it heals. Does this sound like a subconjunctival hemorrhage? My vision is fine. I don't even wear glasses except for nonprescription reading glasses for really small print.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. This sounds exactly like a subconjunctival hemorrhage; unfortunately because it is essentially a bruise on the eye, only time will make it go away and the only thing you can do is to try and limit further bleeding by not rubbing the eye, straining, and/or taking the following substances:
Dr. Dan B. : Warfarin, aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn, garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba or vitamin E. Does this make sense? Do you have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. : It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

I have been taking quite a bit of Aleve lately. Maybe that got this mess started. Yes, avoiding blood thinning meds does make perfect sense. I really want to rub my eye but I'm not going to...yikes, I don't even want to like at myself. I'm going to scare customers at work. I just wanted to confirm my self diagnosis. I guess I'll just have to wait this one out. Perfect timing for Halloween.

Dr. Dan B. : That's one way to look at it :) do you have any other questions about this that I can help you with?
Customer:

No, I think having an eye that looks like raw meat is enough for one night! Thanks for answering.

Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Have a good night and here's to quick healing for you! Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
Customer:

I'll do that right now.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology