Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

In my right eye, when seeing a whiteish, bright surface, there

In my right eye, when seeing a whiteish, bright surface, there is what looks like a little ink blotchy squiggle that kind of stays in the same area depending on blinking. Also I see what looks like an overall field of translusent opeque little dots.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is your vision affected?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
David,

You hit the rating button too fast....I'm still here.

let's continue to work on your issue.. Just type in the box
David,

A few questions:

1. Is your vision affected?

2. Do you see flashes of lights?

3. Where in your visual field is this opaque field located? Does it kinda wave around?

4. How long has this been going on for?

I look forward to your answers.
David,

I am still here but it looks like you have stepped away from your computer.....

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, or a decrease in your vision that doesn’t improve in a few minutes this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Here is a video of the actual surgery to remove floaters:
http://www.retinavitreous.com/video%20files/intro_floaters.html

In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick I'm Dave

Other than what I've already stated.

There seems to be a over all somewhat mild cloudyness in this eye. I noticed this maybe 3-4 days ago. Also the eye fells somewhat irratated & I do have dry eyes naturally. I've had duct plugs installed in the past but, not sure which ones are still in place.

David,

OK. Thanks for that extra information.

If you have any of the signs of a retinal detachment I noted above you need to see an ophthalmologist ASAP. If not, you should be OK to wait until sometime this coming week.

Sorry about the mixup with the accept button. Let me know if you have any more questions. I will standby in case you would like to chat more.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No flashes.

It appears to be about at the 2 o'clock position. As I only really see it in bright situations, if I see it about there, it slowly drops down untilI blink again, & then rises a bit. I suppose the over all cloundness might be because of the large amount od opque dots?

Reason for slight irritation?

Are you on the west coast? I'm in Sherman Oaks, Ca

It sounds like a large floater. What you are experiencing is not related to slight irritation. This is probably due to the dryness of your eyes and, perhaps a bit of blepharitis.

I went to Undergrad in California but now I live in Cold Country....it snowed a little bit here today.

Have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick

So I went to a retinal Dr. yesterday,He found 2 tears & laser fixed them.

But this Dr. wasn't great at accepting Q's.

So maybe you could answer a couple for me.

What is/are the black dots I see? Which affect my vision. I think I read that eventually they would disapper.

But the floaters probebly won't. Which ofcorse are in & out last forever.

Thank's Dave

David,

Glad to hear that the tears were fixed before the progressed into a retinal detachment.

For the next week or two, take it easy while those laser spots scar down....I'm sure your doc told you that though...

The black spots are clumps of blood from were the retinal tears bled. They also may be strands/clumps of vitreous as I discussed previously.

You are correct: The blood will slowly reabsorb; the vitreous strands will not.

Let me know if you have any other questions or problems -- I'll be glad to help.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Diseases of the Retina & Vitreous
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the answers.

Right , he did say, take it easy. I suppose like lifting heavy things etc.

Nono's I read put in things like a rollercotser, boxing. Which won't affect me too much.

But, said driving is ok. What about bending down to pick things up, or using a electric drill, climing up a ladder?

David,

It is OK to drive (although I've never seen you drive, so I'm not really sure about that ;)

Try to bend at the knees and not the waist for a while.....

You can use an household electric drill, but don't strain yourself; up a ladder? OK as long as you don't carry anything heavy up there or do anything difficult while on the ladder.

Basically, you need to sit on the couch, relax, watch TV, have food brought to you, do no cleaning, chores, taking out the trash etc. It would be best if your Wife (or S.O.)would wait on you hand and foot, with your smallest whim being their life's goal....

And, oh 'ya, you should fanned with a Palm Frond and feed grapes in order to speed your recovery ;-)

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick