Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I got poke in my eye 1 yr ago this month by a Phoenix roebelenii.

I got poke in my eye 1 yr ago this month by a Phoenix roebelenii. It went through my cornea, through the interior chamber and put a stamp on my lense. Since then my eyes do not track the same. I had emergency medical within an hr and started antibiotics right away. Ever since then I have had a MRI for a brain tumor, been tested for Myasthenia Gravis and now have glasses with prisms in them. It all seems to be just guesses and thought to be a coincident that my eyes are doing this at the very same time as the injury. I think it all stems from the injury. I know have a hard time with depth perception, seeing at night, looking up causes me to be unbalanced and looking to the right makes me dizzy. I am also having a hard time focusing on one line when I read. Any suggestions?
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was looking for more of what your thoughts could be of why this happened. I know about going to teaching hospitals. I have been and am going back to UCLA. It really doesn't take much thought to know that would be a step forward. I was looking for why you might have thought my eye started not tracking with the other be it possible nerve damage or just some underlying reason. The doctors tell me they "think" it a coinsidence but I am possitive it was the palm thorn in the eye. Thank you but I really could have gotten that information from anyone.

Karen,

I do not see anyway that the penetrating injury to your globe could cause your eyes not to track together well.

The other issues you are having could be due to damage to your cornea, causing irregular astigmatism, or damage to your lens, causing cataract formation. Both of these issues should be able to be diagnosed easily with a complete eye exam.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance. Thank you.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.