Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had the cataract removed from my eye 8 days ago. Pre-operation

I have had the cataract removed from my eye 8 days ago. Pre-operation the Doctor said that he wanted check my eye 2 weeks after the operation instead of the usual 4 weeks because of the difference in my eyes he thought that it would cause confusion to my brain. As the clinic is over subscribed my appointment is 5 weeks after. On the 3rd day after my operation I needed to go to the emergency eye clinic where I was diagnosed with "some breakdown of the epithelium overlying the corneal section". Since then I have spoken to the nursing sister on the eye ward and she told me not to worry about the delay as it takes 4 weeks for my eye to heal up and they wouldn't operate on my other eye until this one has healed which I accept. As the Doctor wanted to see me sooner I am worried that my sight might be adversely affected if left longer. I don't know if I should see the Doctor privately assuming I could get an earlier date or keep with the datee given. My question is :should I accept the advice of the sister that the date given me is alright or could she be wrong and it would effect the outcome of my cataract operation?

I will have to go offline now but will check back in the morning. Thank you.

Hi there,
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your query.
I think that you can wait and this will not effect the outcome of your cataract surgery.
If however you start to have new symptoms or worsening vision then of course you should see your doctor right away.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Regards
Dr SH, Certified physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know why the NHS insist on waiting 4 weeks between the first and second cataaract operation yet the private practice wait only 2 weeks?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Taking to long to answer.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like you had swelling of your cornea due to the "stressing/damage" to your endothelium.

This sometime happens after cataract surgery and in the vast majority of cases, it resolves with time and everything is just fine.

I do not believe that you need worry about your sight or cataract operation might be adversely affected should you wait to see the ophthalmologist at a later date as the nursing Sister recommended.

So. What is the take home message? From what you have posted I feel you can wait to see your surgeon without any risk to your eye and vision. There is no need to consult a Doctor privately (beyond, of course, the Fantastic Eye Surgeons here online)

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why then do the NHS insist on 4 weeks between operations and the private service only 2 weeks?

In the USA some doctors do one cataract and a week later do the other one if all went well at first.

While, as USA bases ophthalmologist I can not tell exactly why difference between the NIH and private surgeons exist I can guess:

1. It is always safer to wait just in case of a (very rare) blinding infection shows up in the first eye. At last this way there is still one good eye left (not a very compelling reason in the modern age of cataract surgery)

2. The Private doctor makes more money the more surgery he does while the NIH doctor makes the same even no matter how hard he works.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Did you want your feedback to go to DrShahzad, which is what occurred, to to me?

If you have a moment, please let me know your preference.

Thanks.

Dr. Rick