Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I am 47 years old and have been told by my Optometrist (who

I am 47 years old and have been told by my Optometrist (who I hadn't seen before) that she found 2 small retinal lesions on one eye and 1 on the other. I am terrified that they are representative of something serious going on in my body. They are very faint and she wasn't too worried, but my appointment with a retinal specialist is 2 months away and I am a bundle of nerves as if suffer from terrible anxiety already.
Please help!

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Did the optometrist say whether these lesion were in the center of your retina, which is also called the macula or did she mention if they were in the peripheral retina?

They were in the peripheral area, very near to the edge and not anywhere near my line of sight. She indicated they were small and probably the size of a pinhead.

Dr. Dan B. : If that is the case, I highly suspect that these are not terribly serious or urgent. Usually anything in the periphery of the retina is not urgent matter. It's usually not a serious matter either. I would also counsel you that the optometrist oftentimes doesnt have the training to know what things in the retina are serious and what is not, what is normal and what is not, so it may be that these are normal findings. So don't panic.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX lesions there for life or do they come and go? Are they representative of some other underlying health issue?

Dr. Dan B. : I'm sorry. I wish I could give you a definitive answer to those questions. However, because there are a multitude of different sponsor lesions that could appear in the prayerful right now, and I cannot examine you, I can't say for certain what the prognosis is or how to answer your question specifically. However generally, prefer retinal lesions are not serious or urgent matters. Unfortunately, the answers to your questions will have to be given to you by the retinal specialist who can examine you. Does that make sense? Do You have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. : I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!