Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I had an awful eye infection months ago. It consisted of all

I had an awful eye infection months ago. It consisted of all types of pus, constant clear fluid draining out, crusting over completely at night, major sensitivity to light and even air, veins on the tops of the eyeballs under the lid were really swollen and very red. They also began to ooze white frothy bubbles from the corners. They gave me Tobradex and after 2 weeks I was sick and in the hospital. The Tobradex was going down my throat and caused me to choke. I was put on heavy oral antibiotics even though the Docs had no idea what was wrong with me but it did clear up the infection. Months later my eyes are still always sore, eyelashes are falling out way more than normal and I always have some crusty flakes around the lashes. The fluid that surrounds my eyeballs seems almost sticky and there are tiny clear bubbles throughout that I never had growing up. The veins on the top of eyeballs are no longer swollen and red so that's good but I am scared to wear makeup and contacts. Also I wore contact lenses every day, all day for 30+ years and maybe that had something to do with it. I saw a few Docs and one mentioned Blepharitis but when I went back in my eyes weren't as dry after the infection cleared and he didn't tell me if it was or not. I left that office very confused. I have also moved out of a home that had bad mold and wonder if it's mold syndrome? Or could I have mites? I just wish I could get an answer from someone and to know if my eyes will ever be normal again. It's very saddening for me.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes I am and thankyou ;>

Dr. Dan B. : Granted, I'm not able to examine you so what I'm about to say it's not conclusive. But, for everything you told me, I also highly suspect that you have the furnace. Blepharitis can contribute to all the symptoms you're having. But, unfortunately, most people at the phrase have to treated deal he inconsistently for the effects to be persistent and for symptoms to be managed. Let me elaborate...
Dr. Dan B. : That should say "blepharitis" not furnace. Sorry.
Customer:

that's ok

Dr. Dan B. : Sorry. My speech to text function is really not doing well tonight. Let me elaborate on blepharitis.
Customer:

ok

Dr. Dan B. : Blepharitis is an inflammation of the eyelids that causes dysfunction of the oil glands in the eyelids which results in inflammation in the eyelids, tear film (layer of tears coating the front of the eye) and the front of the eye itself. It is very common and can come in many different varieties, severities, and presentations. It can cause any of the following symptoms: burning, itching, discharge, tearing, dry or gritty feeling, foreign-body sensation, light-sensitivity, redness, pain and/or blurry vision. For some who have blepharitis, they don't have any of these symptoms but can still have the inflammation. In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done. It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so use the artificial tears you bought 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them. Any artificial tear without this redness-reliever chemical in them should be fine; some brand name examples that my patients like using are Refresh, Systane, Blink, Optive. Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. You may also need an antibiotic/steroid combination drop if the inflammation has not significantly calmed down after 2-3 weeks.
Dr. Dan B. : Once the blepharitis is under control, it is very likely you would be able to start wearing eye make up again and also possibly to get back into your contact lenses again. Does this all make sense?
Customer:

Yes it sure does. Now, is this condition ever going to go away entirely or will I have it forever?

Dr. Dan B. : It depends, many people have a tendency to blepharitis as part of their genetic makeup and those people do better with daily maintenance therapy of their blepharitis. However, many also have episodes and it does go away. I think only time will tell which person you are.
Customer:

ok well now I think I am convinced that it is Blepharitis. Also I am hoping to get corrective laser surgery some day and need to know if this is a good or bad idea having Blepharitis?

Dr. Dan B. : If it is controlled you can absolutely get laser surgery.
Customer:

Excellent. I'm assuming it would be done by a Doctor like yourself that would be able to see if my eyes are under control?

Dr. Dan B. : You bet. Right on. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Nope and thankyou for the peace of mind about it. I got myself all worked up every day thinking I was going blind or had some weird disease but with another diagnosis of it being Bleph I am convinced. I will now do what you said with the compresses, etc. and pray it goes away! lol

Dr. Dan B. : Me too! Good luck.
Customer:

Thanks Doc and take care!!!!!!!

Dr. Dan B. : You too! Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology