Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

In he last month I have been feeling dizzy when I move my eyes

In he last month I have been feeling dizzy when I move my eyes to quickly and then I throw up. I also have had chest congestion and coughing up clear flem for the same amount of time. I have type 2 diabetes and low blood pressure. I check my blood sugar and blood pressure when I get dizzy but both are ok.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

Customer:

mild asthma. I take Metformin HCl 500 mg twice a day

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

It is not good to have dizziness, nausea and vomiting for this long. This is especially true since you have diabletes.

Dr. Rick :

If it went away....and then didn't come back... after you laid down for a bit I would not be too concerned. But, since it is still going on there could be any number of reasons you are have these symptoms.

Customer:

My next doctors appointment is Nov 11. They will set an eye exam at that time. Your right, this has been going on too long.

Dr. Rick :

Some of the causes, like the flu, dehydration etc are no big deal but there are other possibilities that would require a MDs attention.

Dr. Rick :

I do not think this a primary eye issue, although it is a good idea to see an ophthalmologist to make sure.

Dr. Rick :

I'd not let them put you off until Nov 11. I'd ask your primary care MD to have a look at you tomorrow -- before they go home for the weekend.

Dr. Rick :

And set up an ophthalmologist appt for early next week....perhaps Monday.

Dr. Rick :

Waiting just does not sound like a good idea to me at this point..

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

I would like to know if there is anything I can take to make the nausea go away

Dr. Rick :

I would guess that over the course of a month you would have already tried all of the home remedies and OTC meds for nausea, would you say that is a correct statement?

Dr. Rick :

If so, all the more reason to see you MD tomorrow.....if for nothing else then Rx strength nausea meds...

Dr. Rick :

It is not right for them to put you off 4 weeks while you suffer....

Customer:

Do you have any suggestions

Dr. Rick :

You can try some anti nausea preperations, such as that made by HEB stores. Also a brand called emetrol

Customer:

My grandchild was sick a month ago and I watched her for the day, after that I got sick. She of course is fine. I have been feeling sick since that time. Her doctor said she had the flu.

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes pepto bismol also works

Dr. Rick :

Emetrol, however, has a lot of sugar in it and might raise your blood sugar since you are diabetic.

Dr. Rick :

All the good antinausea meds are by Rx only :(

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Ok, thanks.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS