Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi, my superviser and best friend has a medical problem the

Hi, my superviser and best friend has a medical problem the doctors here in springfield can not figure out what causes her eyes ( one or the other ) to swell closed and she get a big red band around the bottom of her legs that looks like a big blood clot that swells up.
she has been to lots of Doctors and no one knows what is causing it and just put her on high dose perdazone.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am sorry that your friend and coworker is having such a problem.

It sounds like your friend has spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that her previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing her swelling and the redness on her legs. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for her to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if she can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to help her to gather up copies of all her medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that she could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near her.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on the part of you and your friend, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is her best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you and your friend. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS