Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i have a retinal leision the opthamologist found 4 days ago.

i have a retinal leision the opthamologist found 4 days ago. it appears as a thickening of the retina. for the past couple of weeks i have had a headache and some allergy symptoms. the other day i got a visual image in my eye and went to an ophthalmologist. the ophthalmologist said it was caused by the retinal lesion.he is an retinal expert and had never seen a leision like it before. he did a f/a and said the eye looked pretty good other than the lesion. he thought it might be congenital.
i had my first bad headache 2 years ago and went to a optomitrist at that time. he took photos and then and there was no leision at that time. Now, i am on bactrim to rule out toxoplasmosis. i wonder if this could be from herpes 1which i have had on my lip intermittently for life. i am 61. my eye feels like i have something in it. i have a grey image that stays in the same place above the retinal lesion. i have headache. i have an apt. friday. should i call the dr. to come in again earlier? should i see an infectious disease specialist? an internist?
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.

It is very, very, very unlikely that your lesion is due to herpes 1 as this virus causes a devastating condition called acute retinal necrosis. There is no way a retina specialist would miss this diagnosis or confuse it with a retinal lesion or toxoplasmosis like you are discussing.

You should stop consulting Dr. Google. It is just upsetting you....

There is no need to go in earlier from what you have posted, nor is there any need to consult an ID specialist or internist. The retina specialist can take care of this for you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you. i appreciate your answer. with increased eye pain it is still okay to wait till friday then?

Yes, you should be OK to wait until Friday.

I hope you feel better soon :)

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I was just thinking about you and wondering what the retina doctor found Friday during her exam.

I hope you are doing better.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Dr. Rick MD FACS