Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I fell into a door frame in the middle of the night I hit my

I fell into a door frame in the middle of the night I hit my head really bad, this was 12 days ago. The next day the whole left side upper forehead was swollen. I iced for the next 48 hrs. 2 days later the swelling moved down my fore head and eventually ended up with a black eye and cut on my eyeball. 2 days after that the swelling was completely down for 4 more days, but then I got a knot on forehead that is bruised and sore. I am also experiencing tenderness inside by my left ear. Is this normal? I still have a black eye, knot on head why hasn't this gone away yet. Help please. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer: Hi Dr. Rick.
Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have had a rebleed under the skin on your forehead that caused the new bump to form.

Customer: Did you read my situation?
Customer: Should I be concerned?
Dr. Rick :

If you are not having any other symptoms, systemic problems etc I think you will be OK

Dr. Rick :

Of course, the best way to be sure is to have a complete exam by an MD with, possibly,imaging studies.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, from what you have posted I don't really think you need too....

Dr. Rick :

You can always tell your friends how bad the other person looks and claim you won :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

The bruise may take 3 or 4 weeks to go away.....

Customer: I don't have systemic problems or anything. How long does take to go away the bump and the black eye. It has already been 12 days since I hit it.
Dr. Rick :

The bump may take over a month...the bruises as discussed while our posts crossed each other inside the internet ;)

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your questions?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer......

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day.

Janette,

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Customer: Hi Dr. Rick.
Dr. Rick : Hi.
Dr. Rick : It sounds like you have had a rebleed under the skin on your forehead that caused the new bump to form. Customer: Did you read my situation? Customer: Should I be concerned?
Dr. Rick : If you are not having any other symptoms, systemic problems etc I think you will be OK
Dr. Rick : Of course, the best way to be sure is to have a complete exam by an MD with, possibly,imaging studies.
Dr. Rick : That being said, from what you have posted I don't really think you need too....
Dr. Rick : You can always tell your friends how bad the other person looks and claim you won :)
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : The bruise may take 3 or 4 weeks to go away..... Customer: I don't have systemic problems or anything. How long does take to go away the bump and the black eye. It has already been 12 days since I hit it.
Dr. Rick : The bump may take over a month...the bruises as discussed while our posts crossed each other inside the internet ;)
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your questions?
Dr. Rick : I guess you have stepped away from your computer......
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick : Have a good day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I forgot to ask if I should be using hot or cold compresses on bruised bump? And also should I be treating the black eye with something?
Janette,

Warm compresses at this point.

Nothing needs to be done for the black eye other then a large dose of "tincture of Time"

Patience, Grasshopper.....

Let me know if I can do anything else to help in the future.

Dr.Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!
My pleasure :)