Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I fell into a door frame in the middle of the night I hit my

Customer Question

I fell into a door frame in the middle of the night I hit my head really bad, this was 12 days ago. The next day the whole left side upper forehead was swollen. I iced for the next 48 hrs. 2 days later the swelling moved down my fore head and eventually ended up with a black eye and cut on my eyeball. 2 days after that the swelling was completely down for 4 more days, but then I got a knot on forehead that is bruised and sore. I am also experiencing tenderness inside by my left ear. Is this normal? I still have a black eye, knot on head why hasn't this gone away yet. Help please. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer: Hi Dr. Rick.
Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have had a rebleed under the skin on your forehead that caused the new bump to form.

Customer: Did you read my situation?
Customer: Should I be concerned?
Dr. Rick :

If you are not having any other symptoms, systemic problems etc I think you will be OK

Dr. Rick :

Of course, the best way to be sure is to have a complete exam by an MD with, possibly,imaging studies.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, from what you have posted I don't really think you need too....

Dr. Rick :

You can always tell your friends how bad the other person looks and claim you won :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

The bruise may take 3 or 4 weeks to go away.....

Customer: I don't have systemic problems or anything. How long does take to go away the bump and the black eye. It has already been 12 days since I hit it.
Dr. Rick :

The bump may take over a month...the bruises as discussed while our posts crossed each other inside the internet ;)

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your questions?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer......

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Janette,

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Customer: Hi Dr. Rick.
Dr. Rick : Hi.
Dr. Rick : It sounds like you have had a rebleed under the skin on your forehead that caused the new bump to form. Customer: Did you read my situation? Customer: Should I be concerned?
Dr. Rick : If you are not having any other symptoms, systemic problems etc I think you will be OK
Dr. Rick : Of course, the best way to be sure is to have a complete exam by an MD with, possibly,imaging studies.
Dr. Rick : That being said, from what you have posted I don't really think you need too....
Dr. Rick : You can always tell your friends how bad the other person looks and claim you won :)
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : The bruise may take 3 or 4 weeks to go away..... Customer: I don't have systemic problems or anything. How long does take to go away the bump and the black eye. It has already been 12 days since I hit it.
Dr. Rick : The bump may take over a month...the bruises as discussed while our posts crossed each other inside the internet ;)
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your questions?
Dr. Rick : I guess you have stepped away from your computer......
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick : Have a good day.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I forgot to ask if I should be using hot or cold compresses on bruised bump? And also should I be treating the black eye with something?
Janette,

Warm compresses at this point.

Nothing needs to be done for the black eye other then a large dose of "tincture of Time"

Patience, Grasshopper.....

Let me know if I can do anything else to help in the future.

Dr.Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you!
My pleasure :)