Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had a cataract operation on June 1st. 2010. I had an Inflamed

I had a cataract operation on June 1st. 2010. I had an Inflamed Iris after that operation. (not infected) It took a very long time to clear that up. Many different eye meds were used in combination. One Durazol raised the pressure in the eye so high it had to be stopped. Since then I suffer from my eyes always being watery. Not running. My only relief is warm compresses and I war sunglasses all the time. As soon as I try to not use the sun glasses I am aware of my eyes being troublesome. The right eye being worse then the left which now has a cataract. My vision is very good. My eye doctor can not find anything wrong. I need to go further and need a referral to Wills Eye Clinc at this point please help.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For how long have you been using Restasis now? Are you using any other lubricating eye drops presently?

Customer:

It was dicontinued after eight weeks. My eyes were worse.

Customer:

I only use Systine preservative free.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The very fact that the vision in the operated eye is absolutely fine and that your eye doctor has found nothing contributory shows that there is no inflammation in the eye. However your symptoms of watery eyes and intolerance to bright light cannot be ignored.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If warm compresses have given you relief then there could be a possibility of associated meibomian gland dysfunction. Meibomian glands are modified sebaceous glands in the eyelids and are required for proper functioning of the tear film as it contributes to the lipid layer of the tear film.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Meibomian gland dysfunction can cause tear film instability ( reflex watering from eyes), irritation, itching sensation, swelling of the eyelids, crusting of lids, difficulty in opening lids especially in the morning and so on. Not everyone will have all these symptoms and could vary from individual to individual.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Till you get to go to Wills Eye Clinic for a thorough eye check up, you can try these simple yet effective home remedies-

First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided.

•Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful.

•Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Durezol or Difluprednate eye drops are usually not associated with a rise in intraocular pressure but have resulted so in your case.

Customer:

I intend to go to Wills. However, I need to know who would specialize in this condition? I do not want to insult my own Doctor he is a kind human being. Or should I just tell him what your opinion is?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A cornea and external diseases specialist can be consulted at Wills Eye Clinic. I guess you can discuss the above opinion with your eye specialist and request for a referral to Wills Eye Clinic if you continue to have the symptoms later.This way you would not be offending him.

Customer:

I feel trapped by language. I can only say THANK YOU. That is all our language has. Have a long, lovely and peaceful life. I hope I can print this out.

Customer:

I can not print it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, you can print this and it can be saved for future reference too. Once we switch over to Q&A , you can do the needful. Hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist