Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is it possible for your eyesight to get worse and better with

Is it possible for your eyesight to get worse and better with time? I remember three years ago driving at night for a long time and thinking, "I need glasses" because the signs seemed a little too blurry, but were still legible, but then I never followed up and things seemed okay, but from time to time it seems like my vision is not as good as it is at other times. What's up?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How old are you

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

I'm 32. I do not take any medication at the moment but have in the past: Celexa. Everyone in my family has glasses, so I think it's time I got them, too, but I'll prefer contacts.

Dr. Rick :

It is very possible that you a slight need for plus powered (hyperope) glasses. When we are young we are able to use the natural ability of the lens in our eye to compensate for this and, as such, do not need glasses.

Customer:

In 2010 I had an eye exam and was told that legally I do not need glasses but they would benefit me.

Customer:

Is there any "quick fix" version of glasses you can get, similar to reading glasses?

Dr. Rick :

But, when doing visual tasks, such as driving at night (especially where the road is real dark, like in a rural area) for long periods of time, our eyes get tired of compensating and we say to ourselves ""I need glasses" because the signs seemed a little too blurry"

Dr. Rick :

This gets harder and harder as you get older and start getting close to 40...

Dr. Rick :

That eye report makes sense.....

Dr. Rick :

Yes, you could just try some low power (+0.75 or +1.25)

Dr. Rick :

you can get these at a dollar store.

Customer:

I bought some +1.00 and they are good for things that are close but make everything that's further away blurry.

Dr. Rick :

you may not be able to buy OTC glasses weak enough then.....

Customer:

Okay, well thank you for your help. I just wondered about this because I wasn't sure if it was normal for vision to seemingly worsen and then get better.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest