Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

passed out and loss site in both eyes. sight came back after

Customer Question

passed out and loss site in both eyes. sight came back after a while and was sent home from ER. Now reoccurring site loss just on one side but not all site. Just perifial site. Comes and goes. My mother is 83. We thought it was from not eating and drinking but she is drinking water and eating crackers now and still reoccurring site loss in the left eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does she have any medical problems or take any medications?

Dr. Rick :

At this point is the loss of vision occurring in BOTH eyes, but just one area? Would you say that it is like she can't see to one side, say the left half or the right half for example?

Dr. Rick :

How long does does her vision go away for?

Dr. Rick :

When it comes back does she say that it like someone turning a dimmer switch back on slowly?

Dr. Rick :

Does she see shimmering lights in the area of reduced/lost vision?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Does she have any medical problems or take any medications?
Dr. Rick : At this point is the loss of vision occurring in BOTH eyes, but just one area? Would you say that it is like she can't see to one side, say the left half or the right half for example?
Dr. Rick : How long does her vision go away for?
Dr. Rick : When it comes back does she say that it like someone turning a dimmer switch back on slowly?
Dr. Rick : Does she see shimmering lights in the area of reduced/lost vision?

When was she evaluated at the ER?

Please try to answer each of my above questions in as much detail as possible and feel free to add any other information you may have.

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

medications for thyroid and blood pressure.

for point of loss. when standing to long and then she goes to bed. its the left eye and lose partial vision. usually on the side.

lasts about 5 minutes then she goes to bed and it comes back.

she doesn't see shimmering lights. happened 2x today since she got up.

was in ER last night till 11:30pm

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Bruno,

Thank you for that extra information.

She should have a complete eye exam by an Ophthalmologist first thing Monday morning.

It sounds like she may be having problems with the blood flow to her eyes...this is something that the ER is not really equipped to diagnose.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well she went to her doctor and they cant explain it and she also went to an eye doctor. He said no way that was the answer but I will say thank you for your opinion and no opinion is a bad opinion. Hard to fix something that is not in front of you. Thanks for your help. I just was so scared for my mother and it was a weekend.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Bruno,

I'm sorry to hear that your mother doesn't have an answer to what happened but, at least, a lot of bad things have been ruled out by the examinations.

Hopefully it will not happen again and everything will be OK.

Have a good week.

Dr.Rick MD FACS