Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

A week ago I experienced some flashes of light on the right

Customer Question

A week ago I experienced some flashes of light on the right side of my right eye. I went to
my eye doctor and she did the usual tests to check for retinal detachment and said everything was okay. Yesterday and today I've experienced a floater like the shadowy outline of a half-halo which moves about. Should I be concerned? I am 74. Thank you so much.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Was the eye doctor you saw an optometrist or ophthalmologist?
Customer:

An optometrist

Dr. Dan B. : The flashing lights you were experiencing were part of a tractional process on the retina from the vitreous jelly in the back of the eye. It is a tractional process which has produced this half-moon shaped floater. If you've seen an optometrist relatively recently and you're still concerned, I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist.
Dr. Dan B. : Is quite likely that this tractional process is resolving now that it has produced this floater. However, it is possible that with the onset of this floater that a hole or tear or break the has occurred in the retina. It would be a good idea to see your ophthalmologists as soon as you're able to this week. However, I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you see signs of a retinal detachment which are the following:
Dr. Dan B. : 1. sudden increase in or new floaters, 2. flashing or arcing lights that are frequent or persistent, 3. a shade/shadow/spot in your vision that you can't see light through, or 4. a large drop in your vision which doesn't improve after a few minutes. For any of these symptoms you must see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. : I see that youve just rated me as having given you poor service. However, I'm here to help you understand what is happening with your eyes and answer your questions. So please participate with me and help me know and understand what questions you have.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology