Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am an amateur astronomer. Lately I have noticed that when

Customer Question

I am an amateur astronomer. Lately I have noticed that when I look at a single star I see two stars. One vertically above the other. Both quite clear. This occurs with only one eye open (either eye) or with both eyes open. There is a small gap between what appears to be two stars. There is no overlap. I take two blood pressure meds. I have been taking them without side effects for years. I don't feel ill in any way. My distant vision is good. I wear reading glasses only for close work. I am 63 years old.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the double vision is noticed with one or both eyes open, I wonder if it is due early cataract formation. Due to tiny pockets of water within he natural crystalline lens, each water pocket acts like a prism and can cause doubling of images. However early cataract can still have normal distance vision. I guess it makes sense to get the eyes examined by an ophthalmologist so as to confirm the above. All cataracts eventually require surgery but the decision on timing of surgery would depend on the maturity of the cataract.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What does surgery for cataracts entail? How expensive? Are there any home tests I can run?