Drshahzad
Drshahzad, Certified physician
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified.
28323552

I had a eye trauma about 4 weeks ago. I was told it was

Customer Question

I had a blunt eye trauma about 4 weeks ago. I was told it was not that serious. I had a little bit of blood in the back of the eye but was told it will go away slowly and it is. I went on the steroid drops, the pressure drops and the Predfrin forte drops. I have normal vision now but maybe the odd light flicker and floater. I have a very small cataract but I hardly notice it.
I just started getting Iritis in the eye about 4 days ago and it kept getting worse until I told my doctor and he said to increase it over the weekend to 1 drop of Predfrin forte every hour for 2 days, then back to 4 times a day until my next appointment
.
So my questions are; are blunt trauma to the eye common?
What is the long term success rate of recovery? just generally speaking is it good ?
Is it common for low grade inflammation to come back to the eye?
Can inflammation take a while to go away ?
What can they do if inflammation does not go away?
All this is very worrying to me Doctor. Maybe it is more worrying to me then it should be. I cannot get enough information from the eye specialist, they just give me simple answers and rush me out the door and say it will be ok.
I just know I had a blunt trauma, I had no bleeding and I don't think it was any retina detachment or anything. But I remember my sight went blurly and could only see light for the first 24 hours after the injury.
I cannot sleep with worry. The past week I have only had maybe 4 hours sleep a night. I cannot function without my sight. I need to know it will be ok. I am a 31 year old unemployed guy, this is the last thing I need in my life.
I know some people on here will just go about their normal business but I cannot stop thinking about it. I cannot even eat properly, I have lost interest in everything. This situation is also bringing up past emotional trumas and I can't stop apologising to people for different things for no reason.
I hope this is just a small trauma and that things will get back to normal. I can see normal and was told by the doctor it was not as serious as he thought. Maybe I am just blowing this out of proportion. After all nothing penetrated the eye and I had no bleeding. But the Iritis now is the concern. I do get a bit of redness in the eyes but mostly it is clear and I can see fine. Just slightly blurry from the dilated pupil and the from the drops I guess

The past weeks since the injury have been shocking and traumatic for me emotionally. I never had a problem with my eyes before.
Please I need someone that can really explain things to me..
Thank you Doctor
Category: Eye
Expert:  Drshahzad replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

hi there

Dr. Shahzad MD :

thank you for your question

Dr. Shahzad MD :

are blunt trauma to the eye common?
Yes they are pretty common

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is the long term success rate of recovery?
The long term success rate of recovery depends upon the severity of injury. In your case I think that your recovery should be complete.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its not very common for that to happen but the inflammation that you are having should settle with the steroid eye drops and if that does not happen then you may require systemic steroid because iritis is something that needs to be treated and cannot be left untreated if it truly is iritis determined by your eye doctor after examining it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes it can take a week or even more to go away depending on the severity of the inflammation and the treatment given.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What can they do if inflammation does not go away? Like I mentioned if topical steroids do not help then systemic steroids may be required.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But I remember my sight went blurly and could only see light for the first 24 hours after the injury.
Blurry vision after trauma to the eye is very common and if this has settled then I would not worry.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand that you are in a lot of stress because of this eye trauma, but let me assure you that you will be fine. Just try and relax and get some sound sleep.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do rate me for my services when you are done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Drshahzad replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Drshahzad replied 1 year ago.
Do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies.
Kindest Regards