Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My left eye is watering constantly. The corner of my eye itches

My left eye is watering constantly. The corner of my eye itches and when I blink my eye I feel a slight burning.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Is the itching bad enough that you want to claw your eyes out? Do you also have seasonal allergies including a runny nose and sneezing?
Dr. Dan B. : Since you're not in the chat room, I will give you answers to a couple different scenarios which I think are most likely. If the answers to these questions I posed to you is yes, then I think this is likely an allergic conjunctivitis. Let me elaborate.
Dr. Dan B. : First of all, it is important to control the eye's response to allergens and this would include taking an antihistamine drop; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. If this still isnt enough then you may be necessary to start an oral antihistamine such as Claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter if this isnt helping. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation. Does this make sense?
Customer:

The itching is only in the very corner of the eye next to the main tear duct. The burning is mainly at the top of the eye ball , under the eyelid and has become constant. Flushing with cool water gives some mild relief.

Dr. Dan B. : Okay, this does sound consistent with allergies. Did you see my recommendations for allergic conjunctivitis?
Customer:

Yes, I will try to locate the two antihistamine drops and give that a try.Why would one eye have this symptom and the other is perfectly fine with no synmptom?

Dr. Dan B. : To have asymmetric symptoms between the two eyes is very common for eye problems. there's no obvious reason why, but right now it is very common that the process like allergies that can affect both eyes predominately affects one at a time in many patients.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. : If not, I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!