Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

MY WIFE HAS HEAD ACHE AND ACCOMPANIED OCCASIONAL VOMITING,

Customer Question

MY WIFE HAS HEAD ACHE AND ACCOMPANIED OCCASIONAL VOMITING, WHICH OCCURS 2 TIMES PER MONTH. SHE IS 56 YEARS OLD, OTHERWISE HEALTHY AT 110 LBS, AND EXERCISES 2-3 TIMES A WEEK, NO SMOKING OR DRINKING. ALSO SHE COMPLAINS EYES OFTEN HURTS TOO. SHE ONLY TAKES VITAMINS AND NO OTHER MEDICATIONS. HER MENSTRATION STOPPED 4 YEARS AGO. CAN YOU HELP HER. OH YES SHE TAKES MELATONIN TO HELP HER SLEEP, LITTLE HELP. THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Concerning her eyes It sounds like she is suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work.

Concerning the ongoing vomiting and headache, this might be from a migraine but, just to be sure, she needs to have a complete examination by her doctor.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I NEED A SPECIFIC ANWSER TO MY WIFE'S HEAD ACHE AND VOMITTING PROBLEM, RATHER JUST ASK HER TO GO FOR A PHYSICAL EXAM.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
It might be a migraine, as I stated.

Or it might be from a huge number of other problem, some of them serious, some of them not.

There is no way, using online chat as my only diagnostic tool, that I can sort them out. I am sure you can understand this and would want the best care possible for your wife.

In that light, get her into a doctor for a complete workup.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

DR. RICK:
MY MAIN QUESTION WAS REGARDING TO WIFE HEAD ACHE AND VOMITING, YOU AVOIDED MY QUESTION INSTEAD ANSWERING MY WIFE EYE PROBLEM. CAN YOU GIVE ME YOUR FULL NAME AND CERTIFIED OF MEDICAL BOARD NUMBER?
SINCERELY KAHN

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
I will opt out so another expert can assist you.

Take care and have a good evening.