Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

So here it goes. Most people think I am crazy or going through

So here it goes. Most people think I am crazy or going through bad anxiety but I think it is something else. Although I do have anxiety issues I have dealt with them pretty well. About a week and a half ago I was sitting down and all of a sudden got this buzzing in the front of my head-almost as if I could feel my brain vibrating and I got really dizzy and my heart immediately began racing. All the night it was doing that on and off and then I developed a bad head ache. Every since then I have been experiencing depersonalization and this buzzing in my head and ears daily and it is almost if I cannot determine what is real and what is a dream anymore. It is terrifying. When I do dream it is always images of my face coming apart and it is freaking me out. Some other info-My right eye has been twitching for months and have had some muscle spasms. I started Topamax this week (given by my doctor) and it has just seemed to worsen everything. I also take Metoprol and Synthroid regularly.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

The twitching of your right eye is called myokymia. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.
Here is an excellent article on this topic:

The other symptoms are most likely due to anxiety. You should consult with your regular MD about these.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot to mention that I have some blurry vision that comes and goes but it is worse in the mornings.

That is probably caused by dryness. This is very common.

You can use artificial tears to soothe and lubricate your eyes and that should help.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick MD FACS