Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi, I see a post you answered some time ago and think it is

Hi, I see a post you answered some time ago and think it is similar. I am getting scared as to what this could be. All of a sudden I'm seeing a like a backward 7 shape of multi colored lights/like the old days of a scrambled channel almost. At first I thought I had looked at something bright and it was the negative image. But, then it wouldn't go away. It started small, like towards the middle and progressively moved to my peripheral. I could even see it with my eyes closed and with either eye. I've never suffered migraines, but I am under some extra stress at work and I just found out I'm about 4w pregnant. Actually, as I finish typing this it went from the very outside of my peripheral and seems to be gone.

This is the first time I have experienced this.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : Did you experience a complete loss of vision in either eye? Do you have any weakness, numbness, double vision, difficulty walking, talking, or swallowing?
Dr. Dan B. : Was this associated with any light sensitivity, nausea, sensitivity to loud noises, or increased irritability?
Customer:

Sorry, had stepped away...no other symptoms of a stroke. :)

Customer:

Irritability maybe b/c I was scared, but not otherwise.

Customer:

I never lost vision, just had the multicolored floating line.

Dr. Dan B. : Did you ever used to get carsick as a child?
Dr. Dan B. : Any family history of migraine?
Customer:

Car sick only if I tried to read while in the car. My mother has history of migraines - she would have to be in a dark room (from what I remember as a kid). I've never had one.

Dr. Dan B. : Well, I think you have had your first migraine then. It sounds like you have some knowledge of of this already so I won't bore you with details unless you'd like some. However, because you are pregnant and having your first migraine at age 39, I do think it is a good idea to have an examination by your primary care doctor, or a neurologist just to make sure there aren't any rare things that could be masquerading as a migraine. Does this make sense?
Customer:

Yes, it does make sense. I just did a preliminary search and ran across this and it sounded like what I was experiencing. Could I expect this to return again in the next day or so? Or is it just...unknown and unpredictable? As for the checkup - it should be my regular doc and not my OB? Right?

Dr. Dan B. : You're right on both counts. It could be very unpredictable and irregular--no way of predicting when or if it happens again, but my money is yes, it will. . Also you're correct about your PCP. Unfortunately, I think your OB will be behind the curve as far as this type of problem goes. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Well, just...will an actual headache accompany this? Or not necessarily? This is the oddest thing to me.

Customer:

My mom would get nausea, headache, bright lights would bother....

Dr. Dan B. : One of the less commonly known features of migraines is that many persons can have this visual migraine phenomenon without actually having headache; this is called an acephalgic migraine. The spectrum of severity of headaches among migraine sufferers runs the gamut from no headache to severe, debilitating headaches. Yes, it's possible that you got a headache with this, but it's not necessary for the diagnosis.
Customer:

Ok, because I haven't had one at this point. I'll get in touch w/my PCP and take it from there. Thank you for talking me off the ledge a bit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I read more about it, I think the symptoms I attributed to my being scared and stressing over what was happening might actually be legitimately the migraine.

I did have some chills/pins and needles sensation when it first started and I was simply trying to make some pasta for the family and I couldn't focus at all. I felt a bit lightheaded too. Again, I thought it was b/c I was like "what is that??"

As of now, I'm feeling a slight headache over one eye, slight nausea/upset stomach and some fatigue. Those last ones could easily be the pregnancy too though. Just wanted to say thanks again though, you helped put me at ease.

You're welcome.