Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I began having distorted vision after my first cataract surgery.

I began having distorted vision after my first cataract surgery. A colleague of my doctor had found a high C-reactive number. I'd had numerous events related to MS, but gave up the notion after a second neurologist found in the negative, though a vascular specialist afffirmed MS.
After walking and numbness problems, the question arose again. A neuro-opthamologist at Duke said he thought the problem could be brain-related and recommended a spinal puncture. The cerebro-spinal Tesla 3 was clear, but under newer guidelines with knowledgeable doctors, I can be diagnosed based on numerous events. Including an inability to drive at normal speeds since my symptoms began at eighteen. Unending sore legs, fatigue, trigeminal neuralgia at twenty, & much more. Sorry--my tablet will not work at the bottom of this page, so I'll finish here: Could the lengthy swelling have caused the visual distortion? Would it be worth a try to install and then perhaps need to remove a new intra-ocular lens in that eye? You'll have to read the later paragraph because my tablet will not correct the errors or continue there. I entered a better version of the history at Ask.com, but my computer froze before I could get a response. Thank you. Barbara

It's possible the distortion--as if my eye were slightly crossed--is due to a complication after my initial cataract surgery. I told the doctor my muscles were inflamed and I thought I should have additional anti-inflammatory drops. He said he' d never had any problems in hundreds of cases. The resultant swelling in my eye took six months to reach near normal. There's still a bit of waviness in z test.

Duke
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I do not think that there is any reason to install, and then possibly remove, a new intra-ocular lens in your eye.

From what you have posted I do not believe that your distortion is due to a complication of your initial cataract surgery.

You mention having had an epiretinal membrane peel for macular pucker about a month ago at the bottom of your post. I would bet that this is the cause of your distortion and, hopefully, this will improve as your eye heals from the retinal surgery.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick--I see in repeating the history on my tablet (after my computer froze), I failed to clarify the timeline. The inability of the eyes to work together, which I attribute to my left eye, began about seven years ago after cataract surgery which caused my eye to swell so badly the staff could not view the macula. I also have been u unable to get a vision correction in that eye as well. Three professionals tried various prescriptions, including a prism. The subsequent tries resulted in greater distortion. One prescription led to a brief panic attack because I had no usable backup at that time. T

Barbara,

Thank you for that extra information.

If things have not been able to be improved, even with the help of highly qualified ophthalmologists and other specialists, in over 7 years, I'm afraid it is as good now as it is ever going to get.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick--My retinal peel failed to allow my eyes to work together. Because the image in my left eye that had been swollen for six months after cataract surgery is a third larger than the right image, I have hope a replacement of the intra-ocular lens in that eye can improve that prescription. I also recognize the possibility that the six-month swelling may have permanently damaged that eye. The only unusual thing that shows in a photo is a small blurry patch. I'll see my retinal surgeon next week.

Barbara,

A 33% difference between the image size of your eyes can only be fixed by changing the optics of your two eyes so that they are closer together.

I studied this issue, called aniseikonia, when I was in medical school. This used to be a common problem in the days before the introduction of intraocular lenses.

Let me know how things go with the retina doc.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS