Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have fluid in 1 ear particularly. I have taken all

I have chronic fluid in 1 ear particularly. I have taken all antihistamines going back to 1970's. I have had surgeries (torp) and all antibiotics available but this is not infective in origin. Allergies and particularly eustachian tube dysfunction are primary causes. The question- I have on occasion used 1% atropine ophthalmic soln- 2drops on tongue and 1 in left ear and have had dramatic benefit. I occasionally use lubricant eye drops if necessary for dry eyes. Am I causing any potential harm ?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Atropine is a very powerful drug and should not be taken orally as you are doing. I would recommend you stop this activity.

If this does, indeed, fix your ear problem then you should discuss this in depth your both your ENT and internal medicine MD, calculate exactly how much atropine is in two "standard" drops of a 1% ophthalmic solution and see what they recommend.

Do not do this on your own.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest