Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I had a stroke in the left eye, four months ago, there was

Customer Question

I had a stroke in the left eye, four months ago, there was sudden loss of the eye and it blacked out.4 visits to specialists said nothing can be done, as the eye lost blood supply and is dead. Recently the eye pains very much, causing severe headaches. i carry a cover over the eye because sunlight hurts it.
What is the sulution to this problem, to take the pain away. the chemist gave me voltarin drops. It only help a little for a short while. I am losing my mind!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Customer:

what has to be done? can the eye be saved?

Dr. Tom :

To help get you the information you need may I ask you a couple of questions about your eye history?

Customer:

ok

Dr. Tom :

OK, give me a minute to type out the information request.

Dr. Tom :

When did you last see an ophthalmologist? Do you have any sight in the eye with the stroke? Do you have headaches or pain in your temples? Do you have any other medical diagnosis other that high BP and diabetes? Does all light, or reading, hurt your eye, or is it only sunlight?

Dr. Tom :

Have you been see by a neurologist? Have you had ultra sound of your carotid arteries?

Customer:

i was for a eye test about a weak before the stroke. nothing was found wrong. after the stroke , it was totaly black, no sight. i visit the eye doctor, who told me there was no bool flow to the eye, she refered me to a specialist. i saw the specialist a weak after, and he inform me there is nothing he can do, the eye is totaly dead. i saw anathet one thereafter and he had the same diagnoses. noe i get the pain in the eye, and it leads to headaches.my eye hurts when i take off the cap and put strain on it to see, but all is black.

Customer:

do the remove the i in such a case? is there no hope, transplant? what can i do to eliminate the pain?

Dr. Tom :

OK, thanks for the additional information. Voltarin is a relative good pain eye drop, but the pain you are having in sunlight does not typically go with a blockage to the blood flow to the eye. The sunlight pain, called photophobia, usually is caused by an inflammation that can be treated with other eye drops. And this can be very effective to decrease pain.....in your case, however, it does not sound like the full diagnosis has been made. But to answer your last question, No, you will not likely have to have your eye removed. WE need to determine how to get you to the specialist that can figure out why you lost sight in the first place and then how to control your eye pain. Would you like me to try to find someone in your area that might be able to get you more fully evaluated?

Customer:

i would appeciate it asap, i am on sasol med medical aid and stay in Naboomspruit, (Mookgopong)

Dr. Tom :

Sure, I will be glad to research for doctors in your area that I would recommend. So if you will please check out by rating my help with a positive smiling face, as soon as you do I can switch over to the Q and A, and send you a follow-up email with the recommended specialist. Is that acceptable to you?

Customer:

I have an appointment in Nylstroom on 30 Okt with a viviting spcialist from pretoria.DR. LOUIS Botha from pretoria.

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dear Willie de beer,

I've done some research for you and a very good place to have your eye problem evaluated would be by a neuro-ophthalmologist at the http://www.eyeinstitute.co.za/

Eye Institute in Pretoria.

Very best wishes.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know how things work out for you. Thanks