Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Question for Dr Dan, Can you advise me on the customized

Question for Dr Dan,

Can you advise me on the customized lens product sometimes called "individual", "digital", "free-form" or "high definition"? I like the concept but seem to find that everyone has a different process for taking the customization measurements and who knows about the actual fabrication of the lens itself, possibly that is different from shop to shop.

I'm favoring a show which uses a Zeiss machine to take the measurements however they don't have the frames I want and I may have to buy frames and lenses from different providers.

Dr. Dan B. :

Hello and thanks for your question. I'm sorry but I really don't have the experience with this technology to adequately answer your question. I will opt out so someone else can try to help answer your question.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I see that Dr. Dan does not have the expertise to respond to you question....and you've already heard my expert advice. Twice.

That being said, if you would contact Dr. Scott Edmonds, Co-director of the low vision and contact lens service at Wills Eye Center you will find him to be extremely knowledgeable about all facets of what you are interested.

As a person who teaches Ophthalmologists in training about the use and fitting of optical equipment, including glasses, Professor Edmonds has forgotten more about glasses then I, and perhaps even Dr. Dan, have ever known.

He can be reached here:

http://www.willseye.org/doctors/scott-a-edmonds

I hope you get the answers you are seeking.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest