Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

What does your eye have and how do you get conjunctivites and

What does your eye have and how do you get conjunctivites and infection?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer :

Yes.

Dr. Dan B. :

There are many types and causes of conjunctivitis: infectious, allergic, toxic, exposure, and the list goes on and on, but for the sake of our discussion, and given the fact that you are asking about infections and are taking an antibiotic, I will confine my answer to infectious causes.

Customer :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX My last name is: Customer Wachler. NOT just Customer.

Dr. Dan B. : Viral conjunctivitis is most commonly caused by the same viruses that cause the common cold and so they most frequently follow having had a cold or a viral gastrointestinal illness, or they follow someone who has had fairly close contact with the same problem.The discharge that results from this is usually whitish-yellowish, but never more green than a slight greenish tinge. Also the amount of discharge is not intense; mist of it is seen as mattered lashes upon waking. Because this is caused by a virus an antibiotic by its very nature will not affect or cure this. The reason for this is because antibiotics do not show any activity against viruses, only bacteria. Because this does not respond to antibiotics, and because there is no specific anti-viral medicine that works against these viruses, unfortunately the virus just has to run its course. Usually, the virus runs its course through both eyes in about 1.5-2 weeks, without causing any permanent or long-lasting problems in the eyes, although occasionally the inflammation can be intense enough that it spills over from the conjunctiva to the cornea and causes an inflammation in the cornea that does not resolve on its own, but requires steroid drops to treat. This is uncommon, but possible. It is a very common mis belief on the part of many persons, including primary care doctors and emergency room doctors, that taking antibiotic drops or pills for 24 hours will allow you to reach a non-contagious period in this illness and would allow you or children to go back to work or school without risking spread of the illness. As an ophthalmologist and eye surgeon, I can say with absolute certainty that this belief / dogma is false. Unfortunately, the virus is very contagious and if you were to touch your eye and then touch a table, let's say, and someone came along 12 days later and touched the same spot on the table and contacted their eye with it, they could also get the same illness. Generally, it is very difficult to abstain from work for 12 days, so the best advice I usually give is to abstain from work (if you work in a very customer-service oriented business, like handling money with customers, work in a grocery store or food-handling position, or work with many children or sick/elderly adults) until the eyes look and feel normal. Until that time, cool compresses (cool works better to help the inflammation subside) and artificial tears 4-5x/day can help the eyes feel better. As its possible that this could be bacterial in nature, it is important to know the distinction between this viral conjunctivitis and a bacterial conjunctivitis. A viral conjunctivitis, as I said before, usually follows exposure to someone else with a similar red-eye illness and/or follows a cold or viral GI illness. It usually starts in one eye and then moves to the other eye within a few days, causes mattering/stickiness to the eyelashes in the morning and can cause burning, itching, light sensitivity and mild blurry vision during its course; but it usually does not produce copious amounts of thick, greenish discharge and the eye usually is not severely red or painful. If it is or if there is a lot of continual thick, greenish discharge and it is confined to one eye (for the most part), then this is more likely to be bacterial and should not only be treated with antibiotic drops, but should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist first to make sure it is not a severe, vision-threatening episode.
Dr. Dan B. :

Does this make sense?

Dr. Dan B. :

Does this information help address your concerns?

Dr. Dan B. :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Dr. Dan B. :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer :

Is this inquiry that I have to pay $38.00's?

Dr. Dan B. :

I'm sorry? You chose a value to your question of $38. If you accept my answer by providing positive feedback, then yes, you would be charged $38, $19 of which would go to me as compensation for helping you with your question. The other $19 would go to the website.

Dr. Dan B. :

Do you have any questions about what I've said regarding your question?

Customer :

My son, Dr. Brian Boxer Wachler, is a Optomologist Surgeon and is known through out the WORLD and he let me know about this problem. $38.00 is kind of cruel for about less than a minute!

Dr. Dan B. :

I know who your son is. You must be so proud to have such an intelligent son as a well-known surgeon. However, I don't understand a couple of things, that maybe you could help me with. Number 1, if you have such a WORLD famous ophthalmologist for a son, why did you feel the need to spend my time and your time, also wasting my time to ask a question and pretend to interact with me, just so you could not respond to my answers and brag about your son? Why not just go ask him your question?

Dr. Dan B. :

Furthermore, you are the one who posted on this website, asking a question--no one forced you to come do this. In addition, you set the value of your question--if you didn't think the potential advice you would receive would be worth $38, then you shouldn't have agreed to ask the question. I, as well, am quite well-respected in my field, and have taken the time to provide you with advice and a personalized chat session that could've given you so much more information had you actually participated in the session--my knowledge and time are worth well more than the $19 I would've earned by helping you, but I cannot help anyone who doesn't want to be honest and work with me towards the solution of their problem. Good luck to you.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology