Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have Sjogrens Syndrome, could that be the reason why my

I have Sjogren's Syndrome, could that be the reason why my right eyelid fully closes from time to time during the day and becomes problematic in the evening?
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

About 10% of patients with sjogren's syndrome can have myopathy, Neuropathies as well as central nervous system manifestations. Often these findings are confused with other conditions.

That being said, intermittent closing of the eyelid (ptosis)is not a known manifestation of these other issues found with sjogren's syndrome.

A more likely cause of your eyelid problems is oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy .

You should consult with an ophthalmologist for a full examination to see if this is what might be causing your eyelid issues.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS