Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i had cataract surgery april 2013, both eyes, detached retina

i had cataract surgery april 2013, both eyes, detached retina one eye july 10 2013, surgery july 12th to repair it, so far has worked great, i'm nearsighted 5.50 both eyes, in trying to avoid another tear in right eye , and preventing a tear in left eye, i hear different stories, my dr said resume all my activities prior to tear, i'm 59, but still very active, hiking, biking, chopping wood, etc. should i forget i've had a retina tear do as i was doing, or no roller coasters, no strenuous hiking, noup hill bike riding etc? after reading about some other patients i feel like a piece of glass, best to sit down and be careful, but that is not me, but i don't want another tear- that was terrible being blind even in one eye, have any suggestions or statistics ? thanks

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina surgeon

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

My screen is showing that you are offline. You may be online but have opened another window while waiting for an answer. If you don't return soon, I will switch to Q&A and we can continue to work on your question there.

Customer:

i'm here

Customer:

are you there doc

Dr. Rick :

yup. Packer just got a touchdown. Sorry, had to go yell at the TV :)

Dr. Rick :

So, after 20+ years of being a retina surgeon, from what you have posted, your doctor is right: Get back to your old life style and don't worry.

Dr. Rick :

Nothing that you did caused your retina to detach. It just happens, especially in near sighted folks like you.

Customer:

my dr said my age, nearsightedness, but most of all cataract surgery was the straw that caused the retina to tear

Dr. Rick :

Ya. I always like to blame the cataract surgeons too! ;-)

Dr. Rick :

But these things just happen sometimes.....

Customer:

he said my new lens takes up less space that natural which may have helped, also 10 minutes after my cataract surgery on this eye cornea dried out like prune, took 3 days before i could see normal ? have you had this happen

Dr. Rick :

He is correct about the volume of the new lens but I really don't think that is a factor leading to a retinal detachment in an otherwise uncomplicated cataract surgery. The issue with your cornea should not have, in general, impacted your vitreous or retina either. It is probably a combination of being so near sighted and fate....

Dr. Rick :

I've done thousands of detached retina repairs over the years and in many cases there is no one clear cut cause.

Customer:

so to summarize, my dr jokingly said, your ok just do not take up boxing, so i should go back to activities mentioned even riding a roller coaster, and 11 mile strenuous hikes and forget that it's happened, my vision in both eyes 20-20, with only a very small dark spot downward

Dr. Rick :

I'd not spend your time trying to over analyze this....go back to your life, watch for signs of a retinal detachment (since you now know what they are) and spend next summer in the Olympic National forest. I highly recommend the Obstruction Point hike. I made a very fun 17 day loop there in 2005 :)

Dr. Rick :

Exactly. No more boxing :)

Dr. Rick :

Dueling Dragons is an excellent ride at Universal Studios, as is the Hulk.....go for it.

Customer:

thanks doc, my wife and i needed your 2nd opinion and help, thanks !!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS