Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Hello my right eye has be matting up constantly for last 12

Hello my right eye has be matting up constantly for last 12 hrs. It is red too. Please help

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Redness and matting ( due to discharge) can be seen in case of acute infections of the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye). Though viral conjunctivitis is the most common cause of conjunctivitis, matting is usually not seen. However it is associated with watering from the eye. It is a self limiting condition and can take anywhere between 7-10 days to resolve completely. You can use lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day, as it soothes the eye. It would be better to give cool compresses rather than warm compresses( warmth can help bacteria to grow). If the redness worsens along with copious whitish mucoid discharge, it could indicate a bacterial infection. In such an event it is better to consult your eye doctor for start of antibiotic eye drops.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist