Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I started today to feel like my left ear has water in it~ it

I started today to feel like my left ear has water in it~ it does not pain ~ but feels like it is full or something and almost affects my eye also~I took two sinus pills~ but I remember I washed my hair yesterday in the sink with my head down~ could it be that water got in ~I worked hard after and today washing floors and so on and then I noticed this~I hope it is not serious~ as I read a heart attack can start with a sore jaw~ but my jaw is not sore~ just this uncomfortable feeling in my ear~ I take anxiety medication and could it be from anxiety~I live alone and am a recent widow~ so tend to worry about every little change that happens to me~I think that this has happened before however~ but I wonder what causes it and what to do~Martha~
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.
Hi Martha,

From what you have posted, I do not think you have to worry that this is your heart. Plus, if you went and died on my I'd be very upset at you :)

You probably got water in your ear like you thought, or it could very well be allergies or a minor viral ear infection. You might try taking 50 mg of benadryl and see if that helps by morning.

From what you have posted this is not serious. As to what caused it? Maybe just water in your ear, allergies or a minor virus. Nothing to worry about at this point.

I hope you have a good weekend and manage to get out and see the beautiful fall colors...it's cold and raining here. :(

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

PS The Powers that Be wanted a bigger face picture. What do you think of this one?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have liquid Benadryl from my skin rash~how much of that should I take and WHY did you change your picture again~I see the Powers to Be do not have good taste~I have been such a pest I am sure everyone would be glad if I died~ you still look like you are smoking a pipe and I like the other picture better and so does your wife~ why do the Powers to be care~they obviously have bad taste~ tell them from me~although you are still handsome in this one~Martha~

Of course we, well at least, me, would not be happy if you died ;)

Look how much you have to take for 50mg. I'm not sure what strength you have as it comes in various concentrations.

Ya...that is due to my equipment in the background. I could try to photoshop that out some....

Thanks for your opinion...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The bottle is 100ml and adults are to take 2-4 tsp every 4-6 hours~ so I took 4 tsp or four swigs of it~ maybe it will knock me out~ the ear feels so annoying~ yet it is not sore~ just feels full~if they make you keep that picture at least try and have a different background ~if I first looked at that I would not feel that you were too Professional smoking a pipe at work~ Martha~PS I really like the original the best~ but I am sure no one cares what I like~what a bunch of jerks they must be~to pick up on something so petty~ your Lab Coat looks so professional~with a sense of mystery to your face~a nice mystery at that and I am sure Fletcher would agree~

That sounds like a good dose.

I'm working on photoshopping the background now.....

Have a good weekend.

Don't let the excellent feedback button go cold on you.

And thanks for all the 10's on the survey you got :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

You deserve all tens and you and Dr. Kaushik are the best Doctors on here~ you are always available~and NOW they say I am only allowed one Mental health question a month~ yet they let me keep up contact with Dr. Kaushik all along and said nothing~I did not even ask to go on any subscription plan that I remember of~I was willing to pay each time~I can afford it~I will push the Excellent button~but I would like to see your new picture first~ after I push the button I may have to pay again to give you my opinion~ not that it matters~it looks like you are going to change it~ I meant to tell you that after washing my eyes out with baby shampoo everyday my contact feels good all day~I was getting so discouraged with always having a paining eye~ no one thought of Blepharitis or whatever but you~Dr Kaushik has also given me excellent advice too with medication~I ordered a custom made contact at $200.00 as I told you~it came in plus my monthlies~ but have been doing well on the monthlies right now~ so I have choices and it is good to have more than one anyway~ as there is always the risk of losing one~plus it is really necessary for me~I have no lens in that eye and yet people just do not get it~I hate stupid people~ will I continue with the Benadryl for a while~Martha

My photo editor is not good enough to change the background. I have a old copy of photoshop that I don't know how to use, but it should do the trick.

I can always change the picture back with one click so let me know what you think....

Glad to hear your contact lens issue is better.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

A man with all your education and yet there are obviously some things that you cannot do~like change your background~ the picture is nice~but not Professional enough for a man of your Importance~you look more like an Optomatrist~ :-) I am really getting mean in my old age~do I use the Benadryl often or again before I go to bed~ I might as well ask a question~leave the picture up for now and see if anyone else is smart enough to even notice it changed~I happen to be very observant~I am also very smart~but my honest opinion I do not like that picture with that background~maybe if you had different equipment behind you I would say it looks better~what is your wife saying now??Martha~ a Cranky old woman~

You can use it again before bed. That will be OK.

I'll try and change the background. I'm sure it can be done with photoshop....if I can't do it I'll find a teenager to ask lol!

My wife knows I'm good looking, even if Chip-n-Dales won't hire me (back...) ;)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I see that your wife has good taste~I take it that you have no teenagers left at home~they are very smart at all these modern things~ they could make you a background befitting to your education~ and for which you deserve~personally I can't see any other more befitting than your original~as an example that woman eye Doctor~ who even answers Retina questions~ does not look as Professional~ too much face showing~ as an example~ Dr. Dan is not bad~ but he is not good looking like you~ how is this for honesty~Martha~PS I am really going to get thrown off of here and that is okay~but I will miss you~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.
They are not going to throw you off the site...I'd not worry about that :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I see this Morning that you have either got a teenager or you figured out yourself on how to fix the photo~it looks much better and Almost as nice as the original~only because you could see more of your expensive machinery in the original~and more Lab Coat~but I can see this is more what they would want~more handsome face showing:-)

I never heard of the word Blepharitis or whatever before and one day you had a message written quite long to me~perhaps meant for someone else~ about how it must be my Blepharitis acting up again~I had no idea what you meant~nor did I ever hear of it~ but when I got into asking you what you meant it was no doubt what I have~ to a certain degree anyway~do some people have it worse than others~ from the pictures I saw anyway~but up to that point I was having so many problems wearing a new contact for my cataract eye~it actually was sore at the end of the day~ how could Blepharitis do that and when my son picked up my contact the Optomatrist even mentioned that word~it was just odd how you brought it up without my asking and yet it did seem to be my problem~a problem I did not even know existed~I use baby shampoo everyday now and don't have a problem with the lens~ I probably could have gotten by without getting a custom made one even~ monthlies are better~ as they would be more sterile~ since one of my eye drops is white I would NEVER think it was anything but that if I saw a Goop sort of thing~if I occasionally got a a stye in the past ~ a very small one thank goodness~I must have had it a way back then too and is that why some days my contact bothered me and others not??? I guess if you did mean that story for someone else it turned out in my favor~I thank you for that~you have so many patients no doubt you would not remember~ does that disorder make your eye sore wearing a contact~no doubt my other eye has it also~ but it never bothers me~ Maybe it is not that at all though~Martha PS I also meant to ask why some mornings I do not feel a burning sensation in the eye as I use the shampoo and other times I do~does that mean ~ as you once said~that it is working~ also does it mean that morning it is acting up moreso??

I bought a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 12. Not only is it powerful but the uneducated, such as myself, can easily make it work :)

Yes, it does tend to very from person to person and even from time to time in the same person. Blepharitis is just like that.....

Yes, you probably have had blepharitis for decades...glad you are doing better now....

Not sure why your eye burns some mornings and not others...perhaps the phase of the moon? lol!

Life is full of mystery, eh? ;)

Go Pack Go!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I take three drops for my eye pressure~Azopt nd Combigan twice a day and Lumigan at bedtime~I never thought of them giving me side effects in my body ~ but only the redness under the eyes~I read however from Dr. Google again how the drops really affect people with bad side effects~ like rashes and hives and depression and on and on~ I always hold my eye on the corner~ and I never taste them in my mouth~ is it possible they would be making my anxiety issues worse~ as I said I never thought of that~they did a good job in keeping my eye pressure down and fast too~does the redness always remain under your eyes~ make up helps somewhat~ they don't even really bother me when I put them in and thus never thought of all these bad side effects~I have enough now from anxiety medication I have been trying~ such as Wellbutrin~ would they affect it in any way~in other words would the eye drops make the Wellbutrin cause a rash~working with it or against it~ whatever the case~would enough of the drops get into my blood ~Martha~

Hi Martha,

I just got out home...clinic all day and emergency surgery this evening....I've not been on JA at all today :(

No. You are using the drops correctly. Ignore Dr. Google. I very much doubt that the drops are affecting your anxiety issues at all.

The lumigan causes redness...just part of the deal. Sorry :(

The drops will not make the wellbutrin cause a rash, work against it or anything like that. You can rest easy on this issue.

Oops...the hospital is calling..darn~
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

My you sound so important~!!! I guess I did not think the drops caused my anxiety as much as they may have mixed with the Wellbutrin and this is what caused my rash~I am on the XL version now~ I originally was on the SR twice a day~I tolerated it once a day for three weeks and it was the second dose that made me break out in a rash~due to my eye pressure problem Dr. Kaushik feels this is the safest medication for me~ he thought ~ after I mentioned it to him today~ that perhaps it was the eye drops in combination with Wellbutrin~ as he was always convinced it was not that drug that caused my rash~I have used the XL version every second day for 10 days and it was okay and today I started it full time~ so naturally I am a bit nervous it will happen again~ he feels this one will go in slower and of course when he thought the eye drops may contribute to the rash I felt discouraged~as I have to take them~is it only the Lumigan then that causes this~ Darn ~ it also makes your eye lashes grow~The Specialist said the women love this drug~ I don't know why if it makes your eyes red~I only have to take this drug once a day at bedtime~thanks for reassuring me that it would not be the eye drops~I hope the surgery went okay~I am getting used to your new picture and like it~Martha~Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me~plus Pray if you believe in that~I do!!!

The surgery ended up being a real tough one...ended up having to fill the patients eye up with silicone oil to, finally, get the retina flat.

Oh well, time to clean up the JA backlog, hit the sack and do it all over again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

HI Dr. Rick~I hope all your work yesterday paid off~ gosh will that person see normally again after all that silicone~Dr. Kaushik would know nothing about eyes no doubt~If the Wellbutrin gives me a rash again~ would another anti~ depressant like Effexor be okay~ another eye Doctor a while back~ before I met the Best~:-)~ said I could not take this kind of medication because of my eye pressure~ but to me if one is taking drops to lower it and keep it down then I can't see how taking another drug would cause problems~although it seems Wellbutrin is supposed to be the safest~for what ever reason~I don't know why I would break all out in a rash after almost four weeks and I cannot see what else it could be~I had the cat four years and I still have him and I have no rash~yet it seems Dr. Kaushik is not convinced it is Wellbutrin~I have started on the XL version this week and knowing me of course I am nervous~I know I am in a down state and need a boost~I have been through so much~ losing my husband and his just dropping dead in front of me and not even being sick and then moving to a strange place~ where it is so big and a City and I am used to a Country setting~taking the drops do not cause me anxiety~ as I was so relieved that no damage was done to my optic nerves~and taking the drops saves them~I wonder why my Eye Specialist said women love Lumigan ~ when it causes redness~Thanks for your help~Martha~

martha,

Hopefully they will see when all is said and done...

You can take either of those drugs without worry about eye pressure..

Have a good day :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick again~I hope this is it for today~ but is it normal some days to feel your eyes burn a bit with these drugs~ maybe I am extra sensitive today~I had a appt for my cat's serious eye problems this morning and did not sleep well last night~he had corneal sequestrum surgery before we came here~today my eyes just seem to be burning moreso than normal~maybe I am just a big baby~Martha~

Yes. That is normal.

Good luck to you kitty ;)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I have not bothered you for a while~ but you once asked me to tell you how my sister made out with her treatment~for polypoidal~ well she had it yesterday and her Insurance would not budge and pay for the drug or whatever~ whereas other Companies did~ mine for example would have if was me~so she went down prepared to pay the $2000.00~as the Nurse was preparing her she whispered that they were going to use drugs left over from other patients that day~ when Linda asked if that would be okay~ as normally once a drug is opened it is not good~ the Nurse said some patients used less or some such thing~ due to their weight and size and there was a four hour life span to the drug~ the Doctor winked at her and said you got a $ 2000.00 treatment Free~ plus she did not have to pay any deductible~ it is not done very much and is called a Compassion Treatment or some such name~ have you ever heard of that~she said she left the hospital looking like XXXXX XXXXX ~ with an umbrella and wrap around glasses~ they even gave her white gloves to wear~in case sun got on her~ this is for 48 hours apparently~ why would that be~he said he would not know for four days or so if sight was restored or helped~how successful is this treatment from your point of view~and did you ever hear of this being done~ Martha~

Martha,

Yes. Not only have I heard of it but I do it all the time.

The medicine makes you very sensitive to sunlight so you have to be covered up for 48 hrs.

Her condition is very tough to treat. This is a good treatment and, hopefully, it will work.

Give her my best.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks and I am glad to hear that what she had done was okay~ my sister~in~law was thinking it was not a good idea and not right~ to the patients they took it from~I thought it a Miracle myself~ what are the chances of her regaining all the lost sight and it not happening again~or to the other eye~it does not seem to cause her discomfort~ while I got you I wonder if there is anything better than baby shampoo for that darn Blepharitis~I am using the baby shampoo twice a day right now~ but it seems to make my contact feel uncomfortable~is that normal~Martha

Martha,

She will not regain all the lost sight but, perhaps, some will return and -- hopefully -- her vision will not get worse.

Baby shampoo is the best thing :)

It should not make your contact feel uncomfortable...perhaps you need to use some wetting drops during the day??

Have a good day.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Again~Surely after all that money for treatment the vision wold not get worse~or why have it~if you get my meaning~ like cataract surgery your vision gets better~

I know that you are not an expert on contacts~ but some days I don't feel it in at all and then others it really bugs me~the Optomatrist sort of hinted at blepharititis as being the cause~ my son came home with a bunch of wipes and I sent them back~but I do see on Mr. Google that there are medications one can get for it~ I have been using the shampoo twice a day~ do you use it full strength~you may not know a lot about contacts~ but no doubt you are the Best at Blepharitis~I think that you said it comes and goes ??? I once had a cold years ago and could not open my eyes when I woke up~ would that have been Blepharitis or a cold that caused it~ as you said I probably had it for decades~my you must consider me old~ :-) I find too my cataract eye ~I think I tend to sleep on that side~ feels extra sticky when I wake up~and is red~I am getting discouraged about my eyes~having the implant would have so much better~but I assume you see much worse cases in your profession~I should not complain~ but it is strange that I have ~ at my old age~ 20- 20 vision up close and yet not far~my cataract eye is the opposite~ with the lens in I can see far and not close~ so it makes a complicated situation~if I wear a contact in my good eye for distance~then I have to wear readers to see close~I use my computer a lot~hopefully that does not hurt my vision~I am alone now I guess and tend to maybe worry moreso~ it seems very strange that I once needed glasses for reading and now I do not~ Dr. Desai explained something I did not understand~ she got my prescription from me and from it she could tell that it was not a cataract that caused my good close vision~ is it older age that causes me to now have poor vision for far in that same eye~I sometimes forget that I am almost 70~but normally older people need reading glasses~I sure hope I don't get what my sister has~the funny part her disorder is more common in Asians and Black people and we are Caucasian~I never heard of any other family member having that either~I pay now each time and am not on the other plan with unlimited questions~ as I needed Dr. Kaushik's advice and you are only allowed one question on Mental Health~ so I said the heck and will just pay each time~ from you I sure get my money's worth~plus you make me feel good and are nearly always available~Martha

Martha,

yes. Use it full strength.

You can have you doctor put you on doxycycline 100mg/day for 30 days and see if that helps the blepharitis more...

I'm sorry that the unlimited question plan turned out not to be unlimited.....paying per time can get expensive :(

Glad I can help :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi ~I guess you found I asked too many questions~ sorry~maybe they are not in your field~ but since I am paying a lot I feel I deserve to ask a few at once~as I pay Just Answer well and always fill out their questionaires and give the Doctors good reports~you once said baby shampoo was the best~honestly I don't see a lot of goop~ I am just wondering if that is the cause of my contact discomfort~or could it be~as I can't see how it would go together personally~you did not answer my question about that expensive treatment~ if it costs so much surely it must help~sorry again for bothering you~Martha

There is no such thing as too many questions.

I'd not waste your money on that expensive treatment...save it for JA :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

What do you mean by that~I do not need that treatment~it was my sister~surely it must help some or is it a waste of money and time~ but what else can you do if your Doctor advises this after the needles do not work~I take it that you use this treatment yourself~plus she had to travel a long ways~ maybe deep down I am afraid of getting that also~ sorry ~Martha~

sorry...I got mixed up.

Your sister needs it and got it and it is good :)

You will not get this issue. Don't worry.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I am sorry to bother you again~I was talking to my Optomatrist and she says I have what you call Monovision and some people strife for that~in other words I can see far in one eye and close in the other~I want a cantact for distance in the nearsighted eye~ she had given me glasses~and I use them to watch TV and so on~ she had tried one in the day I was there~but of course I could not see close with it and would need readers~she seemed willing to give me one then ~but I was having a hard time to get it in and out~ I was so used to the other side only for 30 years~then I mentioned what I think is Blepharitis and she said she would have noticed if I had that and mentioned another name that sounded the same~ Blepharipis or some similar thing~is there another disorder that sounds the same ~ but is not as bad~Martha~

Martha,

Not sure what she is talking about another issue that sounds like blepharitis. And, if your blepharitis is getting treated with the lid scrubs she may not notice it.

Monovision is great if you can get used to it....give it a try. :)

Packers won today and my Wife and I went to the game where were rained on in low 40's weather. A good time was had by all ;)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You probably will both get a cold now~I did not see her today~ she called me and wanted to know if my contacts were okay~ we were having a hard time getting the right fit and I mentioned Blepharitis probably causing my discomfort~then she said I did not have it ~ but maybe~then she mentioned something else~ what she said and what I wrote down sounded like what you said~ she said she would have noticed if I had it~ she did not see me after the scrubs~she said also people like monovision ~I don't have much of a choice~ but I take it you don't agree with her~I don't know why she will not give me a contact for distance in my right eye~ I agree with her though that then I cannot see close anymore~ Oh well what can I do~Martha~

Martha,

It is not that I don't agree with her just that I think you have blepharitis and, since you have been treating it for some time now, it may not show up on any but the most through exams.....

I'd not worry about it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Rick~I hope that you do not have a cold~after that Game~I was confused to why my Optomatrist was saying she would have picked up on my disorder~if I had it~ and then she went on to spell just what you said I had~I see there is another thing called Blebitis or some such name and no doubt I pronounced it like that and I think that is also an eye disorder~I really did not know how to pronounce your one very well~the less serious one~that my clear up what she meant~ as I wondered when she went on to spell what she felt I had it was exactly what you said~ I obviously said the word incorrectly~Martha

Not sure what your optometrist was talking about.....

I'd not worry about it :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~ I want to thank you for telling me about Blepharitis~ as otherwise I would never have known~I find now doing the baby shampoo scrubs twice a day makes a big difference in how my contact feels~it did not bother me even up to late last night~normally if bugged me all day~ yet I think you said that disorder would not affect a contact~it does seem like the problem does go a way for a while ~I thought I would have it everyday~no doubt it will flare up again~

I heard from my sister last night and after a week of treatment she still has no improvement in her sight~she feels maybe it takes a while for the blood to be absorbed~when a treatment is so exoensive you would think that there should be some improvement~or is this normal~I wonder if she asked the Doctor enough questions~ Thanks~Martha~

Martha,

Glad to hear you are doing better.

As we discussed your sisters problem is very, very hard to treat with the majority of patients not getting much improvement in vision even with the most aggressive therapy....sorry about that :(
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Dr. Rick~I wonder if her Doctor told her this~ he is like you and a Retina Specialist~ after this aggressive treatment would she still need more of the same~I will not say anything to her and thus discourage her~does it eventually normally go to the other eye~if so this is very scary~I think I would rather put up with my problem~Martha~PS I wonder if Macular Degeneration is better than this one~or much the same~I am concerned about her~ as she has to work still~

martha,

It is impossible to say if she will need more treatment at this point...time will tell.

Yes, it can go to the other eye but not all the time

they are both bad diseases.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD