Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Several years ago, I had a sponge left in my right eye for

Several years ago, I had a sponge left in my right eye for 6 months after a trabeculectomy. I had to fly from Va to Mass to get it diagnosed and removed. Not only was the pain excruciating, landing me in the emergency room several times; but also it had begun to bore a whole in the sclera. Once that dilemma was solved, I recently had a cataract removed on the left eye (by another Doctor). After the surgery, it seemed there was a film whisping across my vision from time to time. When I told the Doctor, she said she had to do a YAG on that eye. She did without explaining why or what the problem actually was and I was just hopeful that she would be able to correct the problem easily since she had practically nothing to say about it. After that first YAG procedure, I had virtually the same problem remaining. At the follow up visit, I still saw a film whisping across my vision. She did a second YAG without any explaination. The procedure only takes about ten minutes and I have to remain very still and the Doctor comes in each time right after I am prepted and ready to go so there is really no time to talk. I am due to go back day after tomorrow and I still have the problem, not as bad but whatever it is it is not completely gone. I am really losing confidence in all that is going on (I get a "hope you are doing fine since the procedure" letter from her each time which makes me try to be patient but I wonder about things now. When it was first discovered the doctor whispered to the transcriber who was entering her findings in the computer as she examined me and said, "no don't put that in there, I don't want________to see that." I could not make out who she did not want to see whatever the transcriber was entering. Because of that and the silence of the Doctor and her lack of coming out and explaining to me what is going on and why it has taken two YAGS so far, makes me wonder what is going on. As it stands, I still need more done to get rid of the problem. I asked the nurse if it was normal for people to have to have this done more than once and she responded as if t I was referring to the Cataract removal and then one YAG but she did not realize I was talking about more than one YAG so she said, “ Yes, it was normal And now I may have to have a third YAG. I am wondering if this is normal. Then it will amount to a Cataract operation and three Yags in three months. And is all this lasering really good for my eye? Can you tell me if you know what the YAG is supposed to do and perhaps why it is taking so many times and if that is normal? Also could that much lasering be detrimental to my eye. Thanks for helping me with understanding all this. I will finally ask next time I go, but I want to ask someone else also.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 10 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

YAG laser is usually used to treat posterior capsular opacification (PCO), which is fairly common after cataract surgery.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Most often 1 to 2 sittings are more than enough for treatment but it is left to the judgement of the treating doctor to decide wheher an additional sitting is required or not. A dense PCO migt require additional sitting.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The moving film could be due to aging changes in the vitreous.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would not be too concerned about the YAG laser being given more than twice as long as the IOP in the eye is normal and so is the vision.

Customer:

I am disappointed in your answer since you use the medical terms but fail to explain them. You tell we what they are but do not elaborate so I can understand what has happened to my eye. You make it sound like the YAG is for one thing and the film I see is a result of something else. I realize it will be up to the doctor whether or not she does another YAG but you have said one or two is usually sufficient and have not addressed whether or not too much laser is detrimental in some instances. Sorry for not being pleased with your answere, but I really know very little more then before I wrote. Thanks anyway. In the past I have always been more than satisfied with the answers I ahve gotten through Just answer.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I noticed that you have given me a poor service rating while I was tying the answer.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you want to continue with his chat? If yes, then I can give further explanation.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The intraocular lens or IOL is placed in a capsular bag during cataract surgery. This thin transparent bag can undergo fogging and is called PCO. It is a routine complication seen very often. Complications of excess YAG laser are glaucoma or raised IOP, pitting of the IOL.

Customer:

well what is pitting og the IOL?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sometimes the laser might get aimed at the intraocular lens inside the capsular bag and cause a faint mark on the IOL. However this doesn't cause any problems with the vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince