Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Sometimes top and botXXXXX XXXXXnes merge together and I have to

Sometimes top and botXXXXX XXXXXnes merge together and I have to really focus. Also my vision went from 20/15 to needing reading glasses within 12 months.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have severe pain from herniated disk and bone spurs in my neck. I take lyrica , and I take lisinopril because the constant pain make my blood pressure high

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Relist: Other. No answer. Cancel question

Hi Tim,

Sorry. Got caught up with dinner and then getting the lawn mower ready for winter storage.

If you would still like to work on your question I am happy to give you a hand.

Thank you for that extra information.

Do you have any other symptoms?

How long has this been going on?

During your last eye exam,did your ophthalmologist say anything was abnormal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other symptoms , been going on 8 torso months , haven't been to the doc yet

Tim,

Thank you for that extra information.

Let's deal with your two issues one at time:

1. The sudden need for reading glasses.
This is perfectly normal and just means that you have lived long enough to come down with a condition that affects each and every human on the planet if they live long enough: Presbyopia. It is normal, natural and you can't change it. So. What should you do? Go down to the dollar store and buy a bucket full of "cheaters", but them all over the place so they will be handy when you need to read something. This is what I do.

2. top and botXXXXX XXXXXnes merge together and I have to really focus.

It sounds like you might be suffering from a condition called esophoria or exophoria. This is a condition where your eyes don't stay pointed in the same direction all the time, although they work pretty well 9 times out of ten. This condition can be made more noticeable when you get to the point in your life where you start to need reading glasses.

The best way to get to the bottom of this issue is to have a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist (eye MD). If you are bothered by this a lot then sometimes simple, thin, glasses or prisms can fix it. But, in many cases, no treatment is needed.

The good news? The symptoms you are experiencing are NOT a sign of a brain tumor or anything terrible like that.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was helpful, thank you. I did include your tip, have a great evening.

Tim,

Glad I could help.

Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick