Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, I recently visited my doctor because i was feeling very

Customer Question

I recently visited my doctor because i was feeling very tired. I also suffer from high stress and anxiety. Blood work came back with 1.80 ana speckled. My sister has ra and there is some family history of auto immune disease. Im really nervous and feel exhausted all the time. Ive been on propranalol for a while too. My doctor said that since I have almost 0 esr and all the blood work was normal there is no need to test further but just keep an eye on things. I wasnt satisfied so I booked to see a rheumatologist. My doctor thinks that it may be elevated since a sibling has ra. In the meantime I feel awful. Should I be concerned?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of clinical experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like you are getting excellent care and, while I do agree with your doctor that there doesn't seem to be anything to worry about at this time, it sure wouldn't hurt to consult with a rheumatologist given your family history.

To answer your question directly:

No. I do not think you need to be worried or concerned at this point. Wait and see what the rheumatologist has to say and just go from there.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your answer. Im just so confused because one Doctor said that you can still have auto immune disorder if your esr is low but my main Doctor said no as my esr is low. He didnt however test if there were any anti bodies...or test for lupus etc.

Im getting the anti body test done by the rhemy though.

Can a pos ana really be present due to my sister having ra? shes ten years older than me. My mother has reynauds and my granma has pernicious anemia.

Nicky,

No. Just because your sister has RA and your mom has reynauds does not mean that you are a positive ana. In addition your ana test can vary from time to time and really has to be looked at in light of the entire clinical picture.

ESR is also one of those non specific tests that only offers a piece of the overall puzzle.

At this point I would not rush into saying you suffer from an autoimmune disease. But, that being said, I agree with your rheumatology consultation.

If you have a chance, drop me a note and let me know what the rheum doc finds.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Have a good evening

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks,

Im a mess! I think its because my symptoms are so awful. I have chronic fatigue and chills. Muscle aches etc. I cant figure out if its the anxiety or lupus starting!. I just moved to the States from the UK so Im unfamiliar with the medical system.

I will get my results my Friday.

Thanks,

Nicole

Nicole,

I would be very interested in what you think about our health care system and the one in the UK if you have a spare moment someday :)

Take care.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have alot of comments ! I also lived in Belgium which has an excellent system.

Nicky,

You will have to tell me all about it. But, right now, I've gotta hit the sack.....got 4 surgeries scheduled and you know how those OR nurses like to get an early start to their day :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you!

:)