Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi Dr. Rick I am considering pinguecula removal using the

Hi Dr. Rick

I am considering pinguecula removal using the following doctor: Dr. Hovanesian. They use a technique of an autograft or an amniotic membrane transplant to cover excised conjunctiva and glue it down with fibrin until it heals. I have perpetual redness in the eye and sometimes the pinguecula can be rather annoying/irritating when it dries up.

http://www.harvardeye.com/procedures/pterygium.html
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am familiar with both of these techniques, as well as others, used in the surgical management of pterygium and pinguecula.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in good hands and either technique will serve you well.

Customer:

Really? I'm very happy to hear that.

Dr. Rick :

You do know, however, that pinguecula sometimes have the nasty habit of growing back with a vengeance when you try to cut them off and you can end up with something much worse the the redness you started out with, right?

Customer:

I did hear about that... why is that?

Dr. Rick :

I've used many different techniques when dealing with pinguecula over the last two decades....conj autograft takes more time since you have to harvest the conjunctivia

Dr. Rick :

That is just the nature of these beasts.....they don't like it when we cut on them....

Customer:

Okay... so I do have a pinguecula and honestly, i could live with it, it's not terribly noticeable to anyone other than myself, haha...

Customer:

but i went to an opthamologist and he recommended i take steroid eye drops, which i took... for about 3 months

Dr. Rick :

This doesn't happen every time but that is why bare sclera techinque is not used a lot anymore. Conj autograft and amniotic membrane graft, along with mitomycin C have all come along to deal with this issue

Dr. Rick :

It that is the case, I would have to say you should spend you money on:

Dr. Rick :

1. Giving me a nice bonus after you accept :)

Customer:

lol

Dr. Rick :

2. A vacation to somewhere exotic with your favorite girl or sig other.

Customer:

lol!

Dr. Rick :

The risk is real and you have to be happy if things go bad......because they can. And do.

Customer:

well... i have some really bad, abnormal vascularization nasally

Customer:

that bugs me because it is super red in the morning at night, and at random times of the day

Dr. Rick :

It is up to you. The techniques you discuss work great in many cases.......but not all...

Customer:

okay... what is the recovery time on these procedures

Dr. Rick :

If you just having the surgery to get rid of some redness, I'd say not to do it.

Customer:

and if i have the choice to go with autograft or amniotic membrane which would you recommend?

Dr. Rick :

Also stay away from that "eye brite" guy online......that surgery is butchery in my opinion.

Customer:

haha i read your previous chat on that

Customer:

which is why i signed up to ask you about Dr. Hovanesian, i think he is well known

Dr. Rick :

amniotic membrane. That way you don't disturb as much of your own conjunctiva....

Dr. Rick :

You don't have to be well known to do this type of surgery. I was doing it as a first year resident in training ;)

Dr. Rick :

It's not rocket science....

Customer:

lol

Customer:

what does the recovery time look like?

Dr. Rick :

So. I hope I've been able to give you some points to ponder.

Dr. Rick :

Recovery is quick. Back to your normal activities the next day. Swimming in 5 days. Might have increased redness for 6 months

Customer:

Okay... well, thanks Dr. Rick!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the best

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.