Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I also have swelling under one eye that never goes away. I

I also have swelling under one eye that never goes away. I am currently being treated for dry eye with restasis and had plugs put in a couple of years ago. The swelling started less than a year ago; repeatedly ask my doctor, but the only response is it must be allergies. The plug in the swollen eye is no longer there, so I had wondered if it has anything to do with this. Doctor says no, that it just came out (I do remember something on the end of my finger after rubbing my eyes well before the swelling started). I have hypoplastic sinuses (think this is the correct term) and have the occasional sinus infection. Of course, this is nothing new, but the under eye swelling is. Really want to get rid of it - is very obvious. Would appreciate any opinion or advice you have to offer.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 10 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the swellow below the eye has persisted for about an year then it is unlikely to reduce with compresses alone.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Allergies would affect both eyes usually.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One of the possibilities is of the prolapse of orbital fat due to ahe relatedvweakening of the orbital septum.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Such a condition can be corrected by blepharoplasty surgery.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is done by an oculoplasty surgeon

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer:

I do not know what the orbital septum is. What would cause this and how do I find an oculoplasty surgeon?

Customer:

Sure this has nothing to do with it, but I do have a deviated septum I was told should be fixed.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The orbital septum is a layer of tissue which prevents the fat around the eye (it is not related to the nasal septum of the nose) from protruding outwards.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The orbital septum can weaken with aging and cause the fat to protrude .

Customer:

Is this a fairly easy surgery and how do you recommend I find a surgeon?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can get a referral from your eye doctor or search for one online.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A lot of individuals get this surgery done regularly.

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can search for an oculoplasty surgeon at this site.www.aao.org

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince