Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello, For the past several days Ive had mild pressure on

Hello, For the past several days I've had mild pressure on the back of my left eye and at times it feels like something (like an eyelash) could be in the bottom outside corner. I only really notice it if focused on my eye. I'm 53 years old. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any redness, burning, itching, tearing, crusting or mattering of your lashes, light-sensitivity or vision changes?

Are we still live online?

Dr. Dan B. : Yes we are. Bear with me as I type out my response.
Dr. Dan B. : The most common reason for the eyes to be causing these symptoms is due to a dry eye, also called a dysfunctional tear film syndrome. The front of your eyes has a layer of tears coating it called the tear film (this layer of tears is different from the tears you produce when you cry or have an irritation in your eye). The tear film normally provides a healthy environment for the front of the eye (the cornea and conjunctiva) and also contributes significantly to clear vision. When the tear film is unstable or unhealthy (there are many reasons why this can be so, which I will get to) it becomes dysfunctional and can produce uncomfortable symptoms and blurry vision. This is called a dysfunctional tear film.People with a dysfunctional tear film can have multiple different symptoms ranging from redness, dull aching or pressure, sharp or stabbing pain, morning tearing, burning, and often eyelash mattering to tearing, stinging, itching, burning, a gritty/foreign-body senstation or just intermittent vision fluctuations. Their symptoms sometimes get better as the day progresses or they can often times worsen throughout the day, but they can get intermittent blurring when they use their eyes heavily in activities such as reading, watching TV, computer use or driving. A dysfunctional tear film can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to a dysfunctional tear film. Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (and or make worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Any kind of eye surgery can actually cause and/or worsen this Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out.
Dr. Dan B. : The first step in treatment for this is to use artificial tears 3 to 4 times per day, every day on a regular basis for at least 3 to 4 weeks. If after you've done this, your symptoms have improved, then you can start trailing off of the tears as you need to. However, if you only put the tears in sporadically, when you feel like you need them, they usually do not work. Because there are numerous reasons for a dysfunctional tear film, if this is not helping your symptoms, then I would recommend you see an ophthalmologist to have a complete evaluation for a dysfunctional tear film. If not all the reasons for a dysfunctional tear film are being treated, it can seem as though what treatment is being used is not working. Does this make sense?

Yes. I also should mention that I am quite a worrier and was wondering if I was making it feel worse than it is. Is there anything serious that these symptoms could be from?

Dr. Dan B. : Yes there are more serious things this could be but they are much much much more rare.

Okay, thank you.