Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is it possible to have open angle glaucoma and narrow (closed

Is it possible to have open angle glaucoma and narrow (closed angle) glaaucoma at the same time?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Not in the same eye. They are mutually exclusive.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, you could have had closed angle glaucoma, had laser treatment or surgery to "fix" it and still have glaucoma problems that require drops or further surgery. So. In light, you might say you have "open angle glaucoma" since your "closed angle glaucoma" has been "fixed" but you are still suffering from glaucoma.

Dr. Rick :

But, that is not really how we talk about it. In the above scenario, of pressure problems after "fixing" closed angle glaucoma we would just say you have residual glaucoma problems

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I was informed that I have open angle and closed angle glaucoma. What you're telling me is that it cannot be in the same eye, correct?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That terminology makes no sense to me at all when used to describe glaucoma in a single eye.

Dr. Rick :

Were you told this by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

I was told this by an ophthalmologist who also suggested that I get iridotomy. Where do I go from here?

Dr. Rick :

You get the iridotomy. That is an appropriate line of treatment for narrow angles that are, or would be expected to, cause increased eye pressure/glaucoma.

Dr. Rick :

It is a very safe and effective treatment.

Dr. Rick :

Or, if you have cataracts that need taking out, and your pressure at the moment is not dangerously high, many times taking out the cataract will open up the angles so you don't need the laser iridotomy.

Customer:

Does this iridotomy treatment help with open angle glaucoma also? My pressure has been difficult to bring down and at the same time I have no cataracts. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Dr. Rick :

No. It will not do anything for open angle glaucoma but it will, hopefully, take care of the narrow angles.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS