Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I have the dry rye syndrome. After the cataract operation and

I have the dry rye syndrome. After the cataract operation and implant, my eye doctor introduced eye plugs. A couple of years later I was recommended to go on Restasis, which I am using for a month already. Since Friday I have itching/stinging sensation and just read that Restasis is not to be used when duct plugs are in place.

Question: Can the duct plugs be removed in order to continue with the Restasis treatment?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

I am here

Dr. Tom :

Hello, and thanks for your question. The answer to your question is Yes... your plugs can be remove in your doctor's office. May I answer anything else?

Customer:

That sounds good news. Shall I interrupt Restasis on the affected eye in the meantime?

Dr. Tom :

It shouldn't be necessary to do that unless you have continued stinging and itching. In the later case your doctor might consider that you have developed an eye allergy as well ( implied by the itching). Either way, he will be able to easily treat it. Let me know if this answers your question to your satisfaction. Thanks.

Customer:

Can I ask one more question that is related to tis situation?

Dr. Tom :

Absolutely.

Dr. Tom :

What is your additional question?

Customer:

Thank you! XXXXX changed Health Inssurance I had to change also my Ophthalmologist...I have been told that I have remaining stitches from the implant, but I shouldn't worry. Can this be an explanation of the stinging-itching? BTW after two days I feel better but my vision is slightly blurred.

Dr. Tom :

That is a great question. It is perfectly acceptable for sutures to remain in place. They will eventually degrade and generally don't cause any trouble. But they are not likely to be the cause for your itching. If it were the stiches we would expect a foreign body sensation. Since you need to check in with your doctor for plug removal, the suture question can be completely evaluated at that time.

Dr. Tom :

It was a pleasure to help you tonight. Now I will switch over so you can rate my help. Thank you. You can always ask another question later.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 9 months ago.

Hi again Ruth,

Please don't forget to click a smiling face rating. After you rate my help, you can come back with follow-up questions. Thank you.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems