Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Several days ago I tripped and fell on the ceramic tile of

Several days ago I tripped and fell on the ceramic tile of the kitchen floor. I hit right on the edge of my left eyebone, under the eyebrow. It was quite painful, I put ice on it for a little while. 3 days later, it still hurts pretty good, and I have noticed when I look up and to the right, it is quite painful in my eye. It doesn't feel broken, and hurts only slightly more when I touch it. I'm willing to give it time to heal rather than rush to a doctor. Is there anything I should be doing to help it heal, like ice even though it's 3 days into the injury? I've had to take some advil for 2 evenings, slight headache and neckache. I did hit the floor rather hard.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you have any severe eye pain, or double vision?
Customer: no, it is not severe, no double vision. It is slightly blurry, but only a tiny more than normal.
Dr. Dan B. : Then I think Advil and ice is the best thing you can do. It doesn't sound like you did a significant damage so both of these things should help improve your symptoms. Does that make sense?
Customer: Yes, I should think so. I just wanted to make sure that the pain of looking upward and to the right - just moving my eyes & not my head - was not an indication of anything more serious. I thought it must just be bruised like any other part of my body that I injure. So it's not too "late" to use ice? I will continue advil. How long does it usually take to heal up? Thank you.
Dr. Dan B. : No, it's not too late to use the ice. I do suspect that you have a bruise around the bone around that muscle the moves that eye muscle in that direction which is why it hurts when you move your eye.
Dr. Dan B. : As for how long it takes to heal depends on exactly what is injured and what is wrong. I suspect that after a week this pain should go away as long as the bruising improves. It's possible that persists and if it does you should see your eye doctor.
Customer: Okay, that sounds good. I'll take your advice, and wait it out. And seek help if it's not better within 10 days. Hopefully, it knocked a little more sense into my head. ;-) Thanks for the consult.
Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology