Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

terrible pain behind right eye. Cataract operation performed

terrible pain behind right eye. Cataract operation performed 4 weeks ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : May I ask you a couple of questions to get started?

yes, any questions

Dr. Tom : How are you getting along for the first three weeks after cataract surgery.? Did your ophthalmologist say that you were doing fine at your last check up? Did you have any elevation of pressure and your eyes after surgery? How long have you had this severe pain? Is your vision affected?

getting along fine after surgery. Ophthalmologist stated I was doing excellent. no pressure after surgery. erever pain about 2 hours

Dr. Tom : Okay, thanks for the information. Give me a minute while I type out some thoughts for you.

Severe pain behind right eye for last 2 hours. First 3 weeks of surgery, excelloent. No elevation of pressure. Vision not affected. Using tear drops every half hour, just took vicodin

Dr. Tom : The indicator says you are typing. Did you have some more information you wanted to provide?
Dr. Tom : Well, of course you realize you have to be checked by your ophthalmologist promptly for this. A couple of causes that are of concern would be a significant elevation of the pressure in your eye. Another concern is the onset of a late post operative infection. Sent you describe the pain as being behind your eye there is the possibility that this is a sinus related problem. But the New onset of severe pain requires that you be reevaluated by the ophthalmologist. For symptomatic pain relief this evening many people get some results from the use of nonprescription analgesics and the application of cold compresses. Do you have any other specific questions?

thank you

Dr. Tom : Please make plans to see your ophthalmologist by calling first thing in the morning.
Dr. Tom : Have I answered your questions satisfactorily?