Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Dear Doc, I am a 59 yo male with a recent optometric eye

Dear Doc,

I am a 59 yo male with a recent optometric eye exam on 3-8-13 showing signs of cataracts on the right eye, along with the following data:
Sphere cylinder axis add
OD: -2.25 -2.25 180 +2.50
OS: -1.00 -1.75 165 +2.50

A more recent exam on 9-27-13 revealed the following data:
Sphere cylinder axis add
OD: +0.25 -2.25 009 +2.50
OS: -0.75 -1.75 168 +2.50

I have a noticeable deterioration of clear vision in my right eye, especially the last 3 months. It was recommended to simply change my optometric prescription for clearer vision and to a hold off on cataract surgery until the prescription changes no longer help. What are your thoughts and suggestions? I am concerned because the changes to my right eye happened so rapidly. The optometric exam revealed no other pathology. I have a medical history of: high cholesterol, slightly high blood pressure and gout. Might there be some other eye pathology going on or is this the general symptoms of cataracts? I am a practicing dentist who uses surgical loupes, so I am concerned. I appreciate your thoughts.

Harvey Chin

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : Dr. Chin, presumably if you were told to hold off on cataract surgery, it would be because your cataract is not terribly advanced. Furthermore, if your cataract were to be significantly advancing in the past six months, I would expect that it would have the effect of causing more nearsightedness or myopia in your glasses prescription and not actually less as it seems to be the case with your most recent prescription. There can be other medical problems in the eyes that can cause the accumulation of farsightedness or hyperopia, to include swelling in the retina. For this reason I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist to have a complete dilated eye examination. This will help to discover whether there is any retinal problems, or whether the cataract is at play with respect to your vision changes. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Dr. Dan B. : Did you have any questions about this?

Thanks for you info. I wanted to additionally note that my right eye is noticible larger, seems to drain more fluid and feels more pressure or strain, in addition to being a little fuzzy white in viewing. Does this help?

The optometrist did do a dilation, with no other pathology that was revealed to him. Do you still recommend am ophthalmologist exam?

Dr. Dan B. : I do still recommend the ophthalmologist exam because the optometrist doesn't have the medical training that the ophthalmologist has.

Can I go to any ophthalmologist or do I need a special type sub specialist? I am in Las Vegas, where healthcare is reputed to be not as good as other areas. Recommend anyone? I need to see well for my profession as a dentist. I again appreciate your thoughts.

Dr. Dan B. : Your regular, comprehensive ophthalmologist should be just fine. Do you have any other questions about this?

Thanks Dan...I appreciate your help.