Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I dont know if this problem with my eyes is due to allergies

Customer Question

I don't know if this problem with my eyes is due to allergies or something else. For the last 3 weeks I have been waking up with crusty eyes. Sometimes itchy but not always. Ive been sneezing and have a clear runny nose. I'm 37 and a few yrs ago was diagnosed with allergies. I've been through allergy testing though and I'm not allergic to anything. Anyway, I wasn't worried until the last few days. My eyes are super red and they are highly irritated because I wear contacts. Claritin helps and I tried eye drops for conjunctivitis and that did nothing. I'm new to this allergy thing so I guess my question is if my eye issues are allergy related or something to see my doctor about.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 10 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Your response was blank
Hello Jennifer,

I was in the middle of typing my response.....,.kindly stand by till I send my answer.

Thank you
Long term usage of cantact lenses itself can incite an allergic response in the eyes. Claritin is a good steroid eye drop and can be used for 2 weeks. However persistence of red eyes with crusty eyes could also be due to associated blepharitis ( inflammation of the eyelids). The treatment of blepharitis is as follows-

Many appropriate systems of eyelid hygiene exist, and all include variations of 3 essential steps.

First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals  are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided.  

•Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as  crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful.  

Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.

You can also use lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresf tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for a month. It will help to soothe the eye.
I jut wanted to add that it is better to discontinue wearin contacts for a couple of weeks if the redness is severe. In the meanwhile you can follow the home remedies for the treatment of blepharitis mentioned above. It might take 2to3 weeks before you begin to notice its beneficial effects. In case symptoms persist beyond 4 weeks of these measures then I guess it is better to consult your eye doctor for a closer look.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great info. Thank you. What about make up. I don't wear a lot but I do wear a touch of eyeliner on the top lid and mascara.
If you have benn using the same brand of eye make up for a long time and tolerated it well too, then it is alright to apply the same to the outside of the upperlid. Skip the mascara for a few weeks to let the eyelid glands to open up and function well. You can resume application after that.

Thank you and best wishes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I will try that.
Hope you get the desired relief soon with all these simple yet effective measures.Take care.