Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have cataracts. Should i have them removed? However I have

I have cataracts. Should i have them removed? However I have Groenhouw Syndrome and Fuchs Syndrome. What do you advice ? Should I go ahead to have the surgery? What effect will that have in relation to these problems?

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

It is better to get the cornea examined by a cornea specialist who can tell the stage or severity of Fuch's dystrophy. Since the layer of cells at the back of the cornea called endothelial cells are affected in Fuch's, the cornea specialist can assess its function and decide whether only cataract surgery would be sufficient in your case. Cataract surgery in Fuch's dystrophy can cause corneal decompensation if the endothelial cells are severely damaged. In such a case along with cataract surgery, corneal transplant is needed.It is better to decide about the surgery only after consulting your ophthalmologist or a cornea specialist preferably.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist