Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Hi, I wash my hair with Neutrogena Rainbath and this evening

Hi, I wash my hair with Neutrogena Rainbath and this evening I got some of the lather in my eye. I would have to say it stung about 10 times worse than any other soap I've ever gotten in my eyes. I have rinsed and rinsed the eye, note that this wasn't easy since the plain water seemed to just be more irritation, and it still looks red and feels irritated an hour later. I found a thing online which said that if you got this in your eyes you were supposed to rinse for 15 minutes and seek medical attention; however, there isn't anything on the bottle which would indicate that getting it in your eyes is dangerous. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

It is likely that the irritation in the eye due to the shampoo , made you rub the eye. It could have led to some amount of superficial abrasion of the cornea thus causing stinging sensation. These abrasions heal very well with lubricating eye drops and overnight patch or closing of the eye. You can use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for the next couple of days. It is available OTC.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist