Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had rhinoplasty some years ago, and between my eyes where the break was to straighten my

I had rhinoplasty some years ago, and between my eyes where the break was to straighten my septum there was a small lump on the left hand side. I also had nasal polyps removed at the same time. That small lump is is now a hard growth on the side of the bridge of my nose, and it is getting bigger. I have had regular migraines, and recently I also had nose bleeds. What is it and what should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How long ago was your surgery?

How much do you think this lump has grown? Doubled? etc?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was very small to begin with, and now it's visible beneath the skin - so it's about the size of a small pea

I take Maxalt for migraines

I'm currently menopausal - which might be causing my migraines

I have had a sinus operation to remove polyps many years ago, and I have sensitivities to most strong smells, cigarette smoke, perfumes

I had nose bleeds for about 7 months after a plane flight, but they have gone now

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Anne,

It is very difficult to guess what this might be....

But one thing that I know for sure: You should head on over to your local ENT and have it checked out.

Could it be something nasty like a tumor? Unlikely, but possible.

It probably is some sort of benign reactive bony reaction, possibly to your distant-past surgery.

When it comes to these sorts of things it is best to err on the side of caution, especially at our age :)

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my sinuses are swollen and sore as well

and I had a car accident about a year ago, and the airbags went off in my face - I think it's gotten worse since then

do you know what it might be?

Is there a name for it?

It showed up in some dental x rays - and they named it, but those records went to a doctor, and I can't remember what the name of it was

why would it be growing now?

I don't think this is to do with my eyes

I think this is to do with my sinuses

should I be speaking with someone else?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It might be some scar tissue from your prior surgery or the air bag that is inflamed. It might also be a cyst or a mole growing under the skin or a tumor.

I do not like that it is growing and that you are experiencing other symptoms such as tenderness of your sinus and swelling.

I can't really give it a specific name without more studies...which are hard to do over the computer :(

Even though I am a retina surgeon, I am also a doctor. As a surgeon, I think my advice is sound on this issue -- or I would not have replied to you.

That being said, if you would rather talk to another doctor about this I would be more than happy to "opt out", which opens your question back up to other experts online, and ask the moderators to move your question to the medicine thread.

Let me know what you would like to do. I am here to serve :)

If, on the other hand, you are happy with the advice I have given you....

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr Rick. I sort of knew that it's some sort of growth because of the x-rays.

IF it's a cyst or something like that - how would they remove it - given where it is? Can it be lasered?

Is there anything I can do to relieve the sinus pain?

Would hot compresses on my sinus area help?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I do not think a laser will work.

It will require surgical excision but the surgery should not be very difficult from what you have posted. This way a sample would also be available for the pathologist to examine so you will know exactly what it is....

That depends on what is causing your sinus issues. If it is associated with this lump, then removing the lump will be needed to fix the sinus pain.

If it is allergies then OTC meds like claritin D or benadryl should help.

Trying warm compresses won't hurt anything...but I don't think they are the solution either....

In any event, I think you are going to have to make a visit to an ENT doctor to get to the bottom of this problem. Sorry about that :(

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest