Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had a retinal detachment surgery 16 days ago along with a

Customer Question

I had a retinal detachment surgery 16 days ago along with a cataract surgery. I am 35 years old and very nearsighted. I had this detachment spontaneously. I had the surgery 68 hours after I have discovered the symptoms. The progress of the detachment was rapid because it started from the top of my right eye. The doctor told me that large amount of the retina was detached and it was close to the maclua, but did not involve it. After 16 days, the vision is very very blurred and foggy; I can see things but could not identify objects because because of the distortion and blurred outlook. Also, the pupil is very dilated and I do not feel that it constricts any better. Please advise as to the expected time that vision will come back and the dilation of the pupil
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you know what surgery you had? Vitrectomy with gas/fluid exchange and endolaser, or scleral buckle etc?

Dr. Rick :

Your pupil is probably still dilated due to the drops you are on or that were used during your surgery. One drop of atropine can keep your pupil dilated for 3 weeks or so.

Dr. Rick :

what drops are you currently on?

Customer:

I am ready doctor

Customer:

the operation I had is silicon oil fill of the eye. The drops are:

Customer:

Cyclate: I stopped this completely 10 days after the surgery

Customer:

Pred Forte: I use this every two hours since the surgery

Customer:

Xolamol: I use this two time a day (starting from the 10th day after the surgery)

Customer:

Hello doctor, I answered you

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Sorry. I am at work and had to see a patient....

Dr. Rick :

With an eye full of silicone oil, you will not see well.

Dr. Rick :

The xolamol is to control your eye pressure. This will not affect your pupil size

Dr. Rick :

The effects of the cyclate, which does dilate your pupil, should be wearing off in the near future. There is a possibility, however, that you pupil may still stay dilated for other reasons.

Dr. Rick :

The fact that your surgeon told you that your macula was not detached is a very, very good thing. This fact will give you the best chance of regaining good, useful, vision in this eye when everything is said and done.

Dr. Rick :

You will, however, get a cataract in the near future from the silicone oil and your retina surgery. This will have to be fixed with another surgery. You will also, most likely, need another operation to remove the silicone oil once your torn retina has scarred down.

Dr. Rick :

So. To directly answer your questions:

Dr. Rick :

1. Don't worry about your dilated pupil at this point. Most likely this is from the drops you were using and it should return to normal.

Dr. Rick :

2. It is going to take a long time, probably up to a year, for your vision to get to the point where it will be the best it is going to be. You will, for sure, require one or two more surgeries even if things progress as well as they possibly can.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Do you know what surgery you had? Vitrectomy with gas/fluid exchange and endolaser, or scleral buckle etc?
Dr. Rick : Your pupil is probably still dilated due to the drops you are on or that were used during your surgery. One drop of atropine can keep your pupil dilated for 3 weeks or so.
Dr. Rick : what drops are you currently on? Customer: I am ready doctor Customer: the operation I had is silicon oil fill of the eye. The drops are: Customer: Cyclate: I stopped this completely 10 days after the surgery Customer: Pred Forte: I use this every two hours since the surgery Customer: Xolamol: I use this two time a day (starting from the 10th day after the surgery) Customer: Hello doctor, I answered you
Dr. Rick : Hi. Sorry. I am at work and had to see a patient....
Dr. Rick : With an eye full of silicone oil, you will not see well.
Dr. Rick : The xolamol is to control your eye pressure. This will not affect your pupil size
Dr. Rick : The effects of the cyclate, which does dilate your pupil, should be wearing off in the near future. There is a possibility, however, that you pupil may still stay dilated for other reasons.
Dr. Rick : The fact that your surgeon told you that your macula was not detached is a very, very good thing. This fact will give you the best chance of regaining good, useful, vision in this eye when everything is said and done.
Dr. Rick : You will, however, get a cataract in the near future from the silicone oil and your retina surgery. This will have to be fixed with another surgery. You will also, most likely, need another operation to remove the silicone oil once your torn retina has scarred down.
Dr. Rick : So. To directly answer your questions:
Dr. Rick : 1. Don't worry about your dilated pupil at this point. Most likely this is from the drops you were using and it should return to normal.
Dr. Rick : 2. It is going to take a long time, probably up to a year, for your vision to get to the point where it will be the best it is going to be. You will, for sure, require one or two more surgeries even if things progress as well as they possibly can.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick :

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Doctor, are you online?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

Yes. I'm here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to tell that I already had the cataract surgery simultaneously with the RD operation. I spent like three hours in the operation room

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That saves a step :)

Sounds like you are in good hands. It must have been a complex detachment for your surgeon to use silicone oil.

The good thing about using the oil is that it works very well when other methods might have a high failure rate.

You are going to have to have a lot of patience over the coming months. Vision will return slowly and there will be bumps in the road...do not despair.....since your macula did not detach you have a very good chance of ending up with good (not perfect, mind you) vision when all is said and done.

Does this make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, but I surgeon told me that he will use the silicone oil the moment he examined me for the first time (less than a day after I had the detachment). At that time, the detachment was not complex, it was just in the upper right corner of the eye, but later the progress right before the surgery was rapid (I do not know why).

One thing to note is that the vision before I undergo the surgery was very bad and annoying (there was a black curtain from the bottom and the right sides of my eye); the rest of the vision was very foggy. When I saw the doctor for the first time the day after the operation, he was surprised due to the level of detachment I had just prior to the surgery (he told me this probably was due to the gravity action or so).

I need to know that if 68 hours have passed after I had the detachment is good or bad thing. And what if the macula was detached, but for a short time (hours), what will happen.

one more note, the objects (especially spot likes) look very distorted when I look at them and so are everything. Is this due to the operation or the dilated pupil? Also, I am afraid that the nerves of the pupil are damaged owing to the operation and it will not constrict back again.

Further, I need to know the chance that RD might happen in the left eye because I mainly depend on my left eye even before the surger (it was much stronger than the right eye); I use to to catch the very fine details. How can I avoid such a thing.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It is not unusual for a detachment like yours to progress quickly toward the macula.

As a retina surgeon with two decades of clinical experience there are only a few situations I call a "retina" emergency: A superior retina detachment with the macula still on is one of them.

I will operate in the middle of the night when I come across one of these. Of course, I have my own surgery center and dedicated staff available at all times....

Perhaps your surgeon does not have access to a surgical team at a moments notice, at night etc....

68 hours is not good or bad. It just is......The most important thing is to fix the detachment before the macula comes off which, it seems, was done in your case.

Once the macula detaches, the final visual outcome is going to be worse. The longer the macula is off, the worse the final vision can be expected to be. There are, of course, exceptions to this "rule of thumb"

Things are going to look distorted now for many, many reasons including the oil in your eye. Do not worry yourself over how thing look now.....your eye is in the very early stages of getting better.

This also goes for your pupil size. Give things time.

The chance of a RD in your left eye depends on a lot of issues. Just because you had one in your right eye doesn't necessarily mean you are going to have on in your left eye. There is nothing you can do at this point other then follow your retina surgeons advice

So. What is the take home message? It sounds to me like you are getting very good care. Do your best to relax and not worry at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is very disappointing, I asked the surgeon a straight question whether the macula was off or not, he answered that it was not, but the detachment was close to it. I am not sure what to believe and what to expect.

As for my case, with some focus I can see the numbers on my mobile from the usual distance. Also, i can read the caller name, although very distorted. The point is that I can read white letters on a black surface, but not black letter on a white surface!!!

My work is mainly in the office, so i need to know the estimated visual outcome from this surgery.

Also, I need to resume going to the gym because I always used to do so. I should note here that I never use heavy weights at the gym because I know that this might cause retinal tears. I just use moderate weights.

Also, how about driving especially overnight with this distorted vision?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

If you can see the numbers on your phone and read white letters on a black surface this soon after your surgery, and with an eye full of oil, it is very, very likely that your macula was NOT detached.

You should be able to expect useful/good vision when all is said and done.

Do not go to the gym until your retina surgeon tells you to!

I can not give you a number to expect at the end of all this surgery, no one can. I can say, however, that in my experience, from what you are telling me so far you are much better off then other patients in your situation.

Ask your doctor about driving.....I do not know the laws in SA.

You are thinking too much about this right now. Relax.

Did you know you can give a bonus anytime you want and no one would be mad at you? It is even permissible to mash the excellent feedback button as often as your heart desires. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

another query; can I start working out on a treadmill or a cross trainer at this time to stress free my mind?

Also, in the future after recover, how often i should examine my retina in both eyes?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

Of course, your surgeon is the best person to answer this question for you. But, that being said, from what you have posted, at this point, with your eye full of oil, you can "gently" work on the treadmill and cross trainer. Try not to bounce around too awfully much.

I would have a complete, dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist every year in your non-operated eye. For the next bit you will be seeing a lot of your ophthalmologist for the surgical eye....

Let me know if I can be of any further service. As our time zones really don't overlap much ( It is Thursday, 5:45pm here now) I might be offline or at work when you post a question, but I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor, I am already very shortsighted in both eyes, so I used to check my eyes yearly. After the RD, should I change the schedule of the eye exam (for example every 6 months?)

Also, when a surgeon will start taking the new prescription of the glasses after RD surgery using silicone oil?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

Yes, moving up your exam schedule to twice a year for awhile wouldn't hurt at all. Better safe than sorry.

As to when you will get new glasses in for your operated eye, that is a very good question and it is very difficult to tell. After removal of the silicone oil your Rx will change. Depending on why your surgeon used the oil will depend on how long he plans to leave it in your eye. As such, the best person to ask this specific question to is your retina surgeon.

It is time to mash the positive feedback button again as we have spent a significant amount of time discussing new questions.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is clear from your answer that I will have to be patient for a considerable time. Being dependent on one eye (the non-operated eye) for that time negatively affects that eye or what? because I see two different pictures from both eyes.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

You managed to catch me up in the middle of the night as my dogs needed to go outside :)

No, this will not negatively affect the non-operated eye. You can wear a "pirate patch" over your operated eye to block the fuzzy picture from that eye and this should help.

As I mentioned before, we have gone over a large number of new questions that were not part of your original posting. I would like you to seriously consider pressing the positive feedback button (the one labeled excellent is the most fun to push :) and/or the bonus function for the extra time we have spent on your multiple issues.

Thank you and have a good day.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick, could you please tell me the causes of retinal tears and what are the symptoms of development of a retinal tear? Also, what is the time required between the development of a tear in the retina and for the development of a retinal detachment. I need to take good care of the my both eyes in the future and avoid such situation..

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

We have gone over quite a few questions and issues since we covered your original posting.

I think it is time to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far.

After that we can start a new thread using your most recent new inquiry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick,

This is what I am doing after each answer i receive. What else I can do?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

It is not going through for some reason.....

There should be a screen to give feedback. If you are pressing a positive one and it is not working you may have to contact customer service as there might be a glitch in the internet/computer.

Sorry about the technical problems :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, you will not answer my question until I contact the customer service?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

I'll be happy to answer your question. It does, however, seem that this thread is malfunctioning since you are mashing the positive feedback button and, yet, it has only registered once.

Since this thread is acting up, would you mind pasting your most recent question into a new thread?

I look forward to talking to you there. Today is my day off from the clinic so I'll be online for most of the day.

I'm very sorry about the technical problems we seem to be having :(

Dr. Rick