Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My brother was just hit by a pole accidentally by his daughter

My brother was just hit by a pole accidentally by his daughter on his eye.
for the first 5 minutes he was unable to see with his eye which was hit.
after that his vision came back but still blurry.
he has been putting ice on his eye and taken the Motrin (Advil)
what else should he need to do? doe she need to go to the Emergency Room or can he wait until tomorrow and go see his optometrist?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How old is his daughter?

Dr. Rick :

How hard was he hit?

Dr. Rick :

can you upload a picture of his eye?

Dr. Rick :

Does he have have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

his daughter is 20 months old and he turned around when she called him and saw the pole/bar come right at him

Customer:

i am currently not with him so i cannot upload his eye picture

Dr. Rick :

Tell me more about this pole/bar. What is it made of? About how big around on the end? Flat/pointed/dirty etc?

Customer:

he does not have any medical condition but he does have little high blood pressure which is somewhat controlled by waterpill

Customer:

the pole is thin metal piece which comes from baby crib

Dr. Rick :

ok...Well, we can work around not having a picture...

Dr. Rick :

how thin? 1/4 inch??

Customer:

end is flat and it is about 1.5 cm width

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

and it is about 3 feet long

Dr. Rick :

So. Just so I understand. He lost all vision (lights out blind) for about 5 minutes. Now he can see, but not good.

Dr. Rick :

Can he see the TV? Recognize faces? Read a page in a book etc?

Customer:

he said that his eye blacked out for about 5 minutes and now vision came back but blurry

Dr. Rick :

Ok. He needs to pack up and go to the ER>

Dr. Rick :

Hopefully they will have an ophthalmologist on call who can come in and examine his eyre.

Dr. Rick :

eye.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like he has, at the very least, a hyphema......bleeding inside the eyeball.

Dr. Rick :

He needs a complete eye exam, the sooner the better.

Customer:

i just talked to him and he stated that it is still blurry but little better

Customer:

and there is a little redness in eye and not swollen

Dr. Rick :

And this is beyond the ability of an optometrist. He needs an ophthalmologist (eye MD)

Dr. Rick :

I understand.

Dr. Rick :

He needs to not try to take care of this at home. It may be very, very serious.

Customer:

he also had his contact lens on and he sees a little black spot

Dr. Rick :

He may have a retinal detachment. Untreated this causes total blindness in every case.

Dr. Rick :

Although, I do not think it is that severe...I only say that -- should he choose to not seek care right now -- he is gambling with his vision in that eye.

Customer:

what happens whenhe has a retinal detachment

Dr. Rick :

Well, as a retina surgeon, I fix it :)

Customer:

sorry i mean what is retinal detachment?

Dr. Rick :

It is when the photographic film in the back of your eye (the retina) rips off, away from its blood supply. No retina. No vision.

Customer:

oh. but his vision has came back a little...

Dr. Rick :

Your brother probably does not have a retinal detachment, but without a complete eye exam, you can not be sure....

Customer:

he said it is hard to tell exactly since he has ice on his eye

Dr. Rick :

Ya....it has. I would not wait until morning.

Customer:

the only thing about going to emergency room is that they make you wait.

Dr. Rick :

After two decades of being a retina surgeon I am saying that your brother is foolish if he does not go to the ER now. You asked for my advice.......

Dr. Rick :

Bring a set of headphones and an I Pod

Customer:

in my personal experience, i have been to emergency room for some reason before and was there for 8 hours until a doctor saw me

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, stay home.

Dr. Rick :

But that, in my professional opinion as a Board Certified Ophthalmologist, is the wrong thing to do if he wants the best chance of minimizing damage to his eye and loss of vision.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you tonight?

Customer:

no that is all

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

Please give my best to your brother.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Hi Kaz,

I just finished repairing a retinal detachment and my thoughts turned toward your brother.

How did things turn out on Wednesday night? What damage was done to his eye? I hope he is healing up and his vision is better.

Take care.

Dr. Rick MD FACS