Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hello, I was recently prescribed Ciprofloxacin, to use for

I was recently prescribed Ciprofloxacin, to use for 5 - 7 days, 4 times a day for my right eye. I used the drops as prescribed for 5 days, and then used my contacts on the 6th day with no irritation, pain, redness or soreness. Today I accidentally used the drops again, thinking it was my Refresh Tears drops. I am wearing my contacts now, so the question I have is, will I do any damage to my eye, or contact lenses, or cause any problems because I accidentally used the drops a day after I stopped using them?

Dr. Dan B. :

Hello and thanks for your question. No, this shouldn't cause you any permanent damage to your eye because you accidentally started using them after stopping them. Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

Yes, thank you. Is it normal to feel a burning sensation while wearing my contacts, in that right eye specifically?

Dr. Dan B. :

Do you mean a burning sensation from putting in the Ciprofloxacin drops while wearing your contacts? Or just in general with wearing your contacts?

Customer:

After I accidentally put in the Ciproflaxin, I waited about 4 hours before I put in my contacts, and now that right eye, which was the eye originally treated, burns a bit. There is no major redness, just a small burning sensation.

Dr. Dan B. :

I wouldn't worry too much about this, but I would make sure you're faithful about using the Refresh tears 3-4x/day now that you're going back to your contact lenses--it'll help ease the transition back into them. Make sense?

Customer:

Yes sir it does. One more question, is Ciproflaxin used primarily to treat eye infections only?

Dr. Dan B. :

No, ciprofloxacin is used for many infections, usually in pill form, but also IV.

Customer:

Oh I see. I was really concerned I had damaged my eye, or caused unnecessary complications in that eye in particular.

Dr. Dan B. :

Nah... One extra drop wouldn't do anything to hurt (and may even be helpful)--I think the burning was coincidental. Though if it continues and you start to go backwards with your symptoms, I would make sure to stay out of the contact lenses and go back to your doctor as those may be signs of worsening or recurrent infection.

Customer:

Ok makes sense. I read the included pamphlet with the prescription and it said some scary stuff about using contacts with these drops. Thank you for clarifying, it was very helpful.

Dr. Dan B. :

My pleasure. Those pamphlets are horrible! They scare me too! Any other questions about this I can help you with?

Customer:

Yes I agree, they can be confusing as well. No sir, that will be all, thank you again for your help.

Dr. Dan B. :

You bet. Good luck to you. Have a great day!

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!